Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fields for PhD in RF and Microwaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
phd suggestion

u doin rfmems ... y nt rfmems .. Y Unlicensed Wide Band Radio??

Re: phd suggestion

DEAR GO FOR MEMS APPLICATIONS IN WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS.
DESIGN & FABRICATE MEMS INDUCTOR & CAPACITOR , PUT THEM IN LNA,FILTER,VCO & I AM SURE U WILL GWT PHD.

MEMs application in phase shifters,
good topic.
Also:
Photonic band gap and metamaterials.
you will find these very interesting.

nigosawa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ok..so many are suggesting MEMS
but dear doesnt it require high level knowledge of circuit designing and stuff?
and what about job prospects ...is it currently hot?

Ultra Wide Band is pretty popular right now. Phase Array too.

I don't think RFMEMS is a surely good research topic now.
The best time for RFMEMS research has already past, and the future is in doubt.
I say this as you can find that it is no longer easy to invent new RF-MEMS device ideas, simply because a lot of work has already been done.
Maybe the application of such device in filters, antennas is still active, you'll find the process used to achieve those goals are complicated.

What about the industry of RFMEMS? Like other MEMS , no one can accept its complexity in manufacture and relliablity issues. Successful models are only some kind of swithes or FBAR in limited area.

I am interested in your opinion on RFMEMS topic. If anyone have some comments on this, I would be glad!

phd suggestion

I would suggest digitalRF

In my view, hot topics for academic research in RF include Software Defined Radio, Cognitive Radio/Tunable Radio, Ultra Wide Band.

Other areas as RFMEMS, metal materials or Photonics/THz Devices etc. has some relation to RF. But the main research task might be quite different.

toyotacamry said:
Does anyone have any idea of a thesis that studies the effects of antenna radiation on human?

My electromag prof did his PhD on this, with regards to cellphone radiation. His name is Michael Jensen, you can look him up at ee.byu.edu & check his curriculum vitae for the paper.

Rightly said, UWB is a good topic. More over we will see lot of gagets supporting Certified Wireless USB extensions, which uses UWB protocol.

There has also been lot of reach been already carried in this area.

If circuit design is not what you're after, I would suggest MIMO. There's plenty of work to do around designing and finetuning the algorithms for optimizing the transmitter and receiver parameters to obtain optimum performance. And as 802.11n is already established well, perhaps try to find another application.

Numerical and Computational stuff in Electromagnetics is still hot today, you may wanna pursue it. Best way to look up research thesis topic would be to scan through the research papers in IEEE antenna and prop trans or MTT.

phd suggestion

RF is a very broad area.. do what you like best

so what exactly in uwb would you guys suggest

how about smart antennas?

Added after 1 hours 33 minutes:

that is the development of smart antenna for 3rd generation wireless network

what i am trying to say is that the development of base station prototype for 3rd generation wireless celled network that is based on an array of new broadband microstrip antenna technology

that is just only a suggestion....that's all i know....good luck

phd suggestion

Hi Nigosawa,

I think since you have a background of computer
science you can venture in the area of Electronic
design automation for RF. I think that the technology
is far far ahead of the age and EDAs are like
in stone age. We don't have good EDA tools and
thus as engineer we suffer. EDA tool companies
like Cadence and Synopsys even pays really good !
So, just consider this option too ..

Regards
Raduga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back