Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FEED for parabola - the best book about parabolic antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauloftin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FEED for parabola

Hi,

do you know about some book, which is the best about parabolic antenna ? Exactly about feed. I know basic theory about it, but I need some type of feed, about parameters etc. Or some picture feed. I need find the best feed and I need some inspiration. The antenna must have good gain and good spillover (class 2 or rather 3). The class is problem, I have dish with high f/D (>0.3) and without rim.

Thank

Re: FEED for parabola

There are numerous references. Try Kraus and Silver as a starting point. Balanas, Lo, Jasik (and the following editions) are also good references. Transactions on Antennas (IEEE) will have plenty to look through. .

FEED for parabola

Thank,
but I need some practical design, rather. My target is find feed with ideal radiation pattern = it is good gain and good spillover of parabolic antenna. I know absolutly ideal theoretical radiation pattern of feed - it is in attachment, but how can I do it ? - it is not possible :) But I try find very similar result.

By "practical" I take it that you want a pre-made solution. Contact Andrew or Seavy for numerous off-the-shelf solutions. Hardly any thinking or design work will be needed. Only cash is required.

FEED for parabola

Thank,
i need only inspiration, so what kind feeds are possible, for example: hat feed, horn feed, loop antenna as feed and so on, do you understand me ? I need inspiration what form is good.

I'am working on a Horn feed for a parabolic reflector. It's going to be a conical horn which is in turn fed by a circular waveguide.

at.sdsu said:
I'am working on a Horn feed for a parabolic reflector. It's going to be a conical horn which is in turn fed by a circular waveguide.

Hi, I am not sure, if I understand exactly, can show me picture ? Thank

"Antenna Theory and Design" by Stutzman and Thiele, Chapter 7, Section 7 has a good discussion about feed antennas for reflectors, and many references.

Is your antenna a parabolic dish with circular aperture, or a parabolic cylinder? For a parabolic dish, you have a very small f/D of 0.21 (a very deep dish), and you seem to want a feed with an inverse taper to generate an almost uniform aperture illumination. Is this correct? Do you have a very special application in mind? The high illumination of the reflector edge will have a significant effect on the antenna performance for many applications (high spillover; high sidelobes...)

The usual practise is to taper the feed so that the illumination at the edge of the dish is reduced by 10dB or so. This typically gives a reasonable compromise between efficiency and spillover. A popular choice from earlier days is to use a dish with f/D around 0.41 - 0.44, where you find that a simple open-ended circular waveguide of diameter around 1 wavelength gives quite a usable feed.

FEED for parabola

Thank, I have this book, but about the earlier edition, try me name of chapter.

Yes, it is parabolic dish with circulat aperture. f/D < 0.21 is problem where is D > cca 1 m :(, there is about >0.36. Expressly I have problem with class of antenna, i.e. spillover and sidelobe. The "10 dB edge" is high, I need about 20 dB reduced. Open-ended circular is good, but in the E - plane have very high sidelobe, and this cause spillover of parabolic antenna. Circular waveguide have problem, that the field is not uniform. A tried dual mode feedhorns, it is OK, but very frequency-dependent :(

Added after 3 hours 16 minutes:

I am trying find book:
Microwave Horns and Feeds by A. David Olver, Institution of Electrical Engineers, Peter Clarricoats

have it somebody please ? Thank !

I have the 2nd edition of Stuzman & Thiele. The Chapter is titled "Aperture Antennas" and the Section is "Feed Antennas for Reflectors".

Your problem sounds non-standard, and I doubt that the solution wll be in a book of this type.

It seems you are trying to under-illuminate the reflector quite strongly. If a Potter-type horn is too narrow band, have you looked at a corrugated feed horn? There are some overview-type articles on this type of feed by Granet & James.

mauloftin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I dont know, what I edition have, because I have not first page :) - but i think, that is 1st edition, because this chapture is not here.

Yes, of course, the Potter-type is good, but only for one frequency, it is very frequency-dependent, exactly for 10.3-10.65 GHz is it possible, but for 10.7-11.7 GHz is useless. Corrugated feed horn - I am experimenting with it at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back