Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FDTD: Scattering Cross Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

holden1992

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suppose you have a 3D system utilizing a Total Field - Scattered Field boundary with a plane wave injection and a lossy dielectric sphere in the center of the simulation box.

After the plane wave is injected and interacts with the dielectric sphere, scattered electric and magnetic fields are propagated outwards from the sphere (basic stuff). To process the scattered fields into something useful (in my case, I'm trying to compute the scattering cross section), I know you have to create some flux monitors outside of the TF/SF boundary wherein you collect both H(w) and E(w). Then to get the scattering cross section, you just compute the poynting vector dotted into normal and sum over the flux planes.

HOWEVER, how do you account for phase inconsistencies? The real part of my scattering cross section should be exclusively positive, but I'm seeing a lot of ripples which is resulting from some phase inconsistency. Do you have to correct for some phase mismatch between H(w) and E(w) or is the phase correction supposed to fix some time delay between when the plane wave hits versus when the scattered fields are observed?

If anyone knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back