Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extracting the effective parameters of multilayer dielectric using Nicolson Ross Weir

Status
Not open for further replies.

trstlm

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, If i have multilayer of unknown materials stacked, how can i calculate the effective permittivity and permeability of entire slab using Nicolson Ross Weir (NRW) algorithm?

Assume wave is propagating perpendicular to the multilayer surface, and S parameter is calculated using measurement. The thickness of the layers are very thin compare to the wavelength. I want to find the effective permittivity and permeability of entire slab, so that i can replace the inhomogenous multilayers with a homogenous slab.

To verify NRW, i have calculated of stacked three layers with
layer1: εr=2;µr=1; 1mm thick
layer1: εr=4;µr=1; 1mm thick
layer1: εr=2;µr=1; 1mm thick.
I have applied NRW and extracted the effective εr,µr of 3 mm slab. After 2 GHz, values of εr,µr keep increasing. For the tested configuration µr should equal to 1. But predicted value increase from 1.

If one layer εr,µr is known then, using ABCD inversion, we can get εr,µr of other layers. But as i assume that, parameter of none of the layers available, this ABCD inversion cant applied in this case.

Please give your suggestions. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back