Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explain me the operation of transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodus

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello my questions is on the operation of transistors i have a basic under standing of how they work meaning i know that you need to put a small voltage on the base to make the collector conduct to the emmiter but i am a beginning tinkerer i built a basic circuit with a transistor as a switch i had 5 volts connected to the collector only but when i took my reading on the base there was 5 volts there does the collector conduct to the base if there is no voltage on the base? i wish i could draw you a diagram of the circuit. anyway when i did put a 5 volt source on the base my led came on it should have turned off when there was a voltage applied because i had the emmiter connected directly to ground adn i was taking my output off of the collector below a resistor please help if you can.

Re: transistors

please be clear ....and try providing the circuit diagram (from any schematic editor) for proper analysis.

Re: transistors

You can't connect collector directly to +5V. If you want to turn a LED on and off you should use a 2.2kΩ resisyor connected to collector then a LED connected between this resistor and +5V. Applying control voltage to transistor's base should be through a 4.7-10kΩ resistor.
Also to switch transistor off you should connect another 10-100kΩ resistor between its base and emitter.
For further tests try to use new transistor because I think this one is already dead.
DrWho

transistors

1) whitch kind of Transistor ? Si/Ge or NPN/PNP
2) When you want to use a Tr. as a switch, the voltage between Base and Emitter (NPN/Si) must be 0.7 Volts.
3) check the cook-book for your transistor details.
4) A simple Bias is as Dear DrWhoF !:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back