Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Example circuit or IC for battery powered board

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsbs

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a battery that can supply 5V @ 1 mA and has to source a circuit or board that needs 5V @ 2 mA. So I have a black box between them to achieve this functionality.So can anyone suggest me a circuit for the black box or an IC that meets this requirement.

Thanks

Hi,

If the battery can only supply 1mA (I doubt this information), but your application needs two mA, then you need two batteries.

Klaus

Trying to avoid that

Hi,

If you want one liter of milk. In each bottle there is half a liter. --> You need two bottles. How to avoid this?

What kind of battery can only supply 1mA of current?
You can try to draw two mA from the battery. What happens? Unlikely it will explode. Maybe too much voltage drop, maybe decreased lifetime.

You can try to lower current consumption down to 1mA.
You can choose an other type of battery.

Klaus

You did not get my question, I was looking for a current boost circuit along with caps

so, if P is const. to increase I , V will decrease
ex. you can get 2 mA At V=2.5 (if efficiency = 100%)
>> you must change your bat

Even a half-used AA battery, at 1.2V, can go through a 'joule thief' type voltage booster, and produce 5V at several milliAmperes.

Do you have a very weak battery, that can only produce 1mA?

CR1225 5020LC 50mAh 0.2mA std. 12.5 × 2.5mm
1mA max continuous 5mA pulse

This is an example of a battery rated for 1mA max.
The reason is the thin Lithium coin cell has high ESR causing voltage drop with rising current on the order of 1~2kOhms, Wheras much larger LiPo is in MilliOhms for ESR.

You can only pulse with low% duty cycle by storing a capacitor such that the capacitor does not drain much and the charge current is limited. Very inefficient utilization of a coin cell, but effective for very intermittent use. In this case you would need a might larger capacitor than the battery size, so what's the point?

Hi,

You did not get my question, I was looking for a current boost circuit along with caps

I already understood.

If you can generate 5V at 2mA (10mW) out of 5V 1mA (5mW) you solved all power problems of the world.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.