Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR of film capacitor?.... used as SEPIC capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

opampsmoker

Attachments

• sepic_150KHZ_24 to 14v8.TXT
    7.3 KB · Views: 64
  • sepic_150KHZ_24 to 14v8.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 117

If the manufacturer doesn’t specify a parameter, you can be sure it’s bad, not controlled or both. if it’s a requirement for you, then find a different device that DOES specify the parameter.

Or, you could contact the manufacturer who would probably have a better idea of their device’s parameters than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Reactions: opampsmoker

O

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi opampsmoker,

This AVX pdf about X5R dielectric types :ROFLMAO: has a load of great capacitor formulas on page 51, one is to calculate ESR :). Hope it helps.

Attachments

• AVX-X5R.pdf
    264.8 KB · Views: 113

O

The calc is easily done data sheet specifies 1% DF, so Vrms on cap x Irms through cap x DF = watts in cap

in this case the volts are ~ 24Vrms say ( actually a bit lower ) the current is 1.7A so the dissipation is 400mW - typical for a polyester cap

you might get away with it - but it will run pretty hot - 2 in parallel will give 200mW per cap - much better ...

O

Hi,

Two caps in parallel...
Isn't the current for each capacitor the half than before?
And the dissipated power just 1/4?

Klaus

What Barry said.
Additionally ESR does have some frequency dependence.
If your operating frequency is significantly different from the specification’s test frequency, then you will have to actually validate it in your circuit.

short answer = no. the dissipation is affected by total VA not just the current - esp for polyester.

short answer = no. the dissipation is affected by total VA not just the current - esp for polyester.
Do you agree that the current is 1/2? I can't think of anything else.
Then the voltage across the capacitor stays the same? .. when two capacitors are in parallel? I don't understand how this can be.

Klaus

Oh yes, sorry, the cap voltage is of course Vc = I . Xc, so if the cap is doubled the Vc must halve, the current is of course half, so the VA is 1/4 of prev - VA x DF = watts in cap,

another point is that the cap volts will in fact be a bit smaller than I said above I/C = dv/dt so dv = 1.7 x 3.33uS / 4.7uF = 1.2 volts pk-pk

thus the VA is more correctly calc as 1.2 x 0.707 x 1.7 = 1.45 x DF of 1% = 15mW

So the original cap will be fine ...

Last edited:
Referring to the full datasheet https://content.kemet.com/datasheets/KEM_F3103_R60.pdf instead of the short "specsheet" gives some insights. Although it doesn't specify ESR, it has V and I versus f ratings. About 8 A at 100 kHz for the chosen capacitor which relates to a guessed ESR in the 15 to 25 mOhm range.

Capacitor ESR is effectively meaningless for post #1 circuit, because losses of the CRC combi are dominated by the 2R7 resistor.
1603617202399.png

Though surely the losses in the 2R7 are minimal?....i mean....the 2R7_in_series _with_C4 is effectively bypassed by the C2?

C4,R3 is just there to stop the dreaded instability inherent with the devious SEPIC with all its L's and C's

current mode control will take away the need for any RC dampers, as will having an Fsw 10 times higher than the LC res freq of the power bits ( in volt mode ) - a tightly coupled sepic choke is not really that optimum ( larger transient currents - including start-up and shorted load ) ideally at least 10% DM along with the coupled choke ...

O

The posted simulation circuit has heayy oscillation during startup due to unsuitable power supply sequence, respectively missing soft start feature.

Doesn't look like a finished design.

I generally don't bother with DF ratings, unless I'm using it under the same conditions as which DF is measured. Looks like Kemet doesn't provide more detailed data on ESR, so I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.