ESR meter modification

pgr2002

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I built this yorkie's ESR meter which is working as described. Can anyone tell me how to modify this circuit to include an LED to display when a capacitor is tested and is found to be shorted. I attach this diagram.

Attachments

• Yorkie's ESR Meter 74hc14 Lawrence circuit diagram_page-0001.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 111

Hi,

you want to detect a shorted capacitor.

What is your idea to differentiate your shorted capacitor against
* a shorted diode
* shorted resistor
* a shorted inductance
* any short at all

I mean: If a capacitor is shorted, then it does not act like a capacitor anymore...

Klaus

It must be like the Jay Diddi's 7 transistor ESR meter where led is placed to detect a shorted capacitor.

One of the early DIY designs in US was the Anatek Blue ESR meter. Notice on back its graph of ESRs as a f() of V and C of cap. Its design included a micro to manage the instrument.

https://anatekinstruments.com/colle...ts/fully-assembled-anatek-blue-esr-meter-besr

https://www.flippers.com/BlueEsr.html

Regards, Dana.

I always thought the original design of the blue-esr meter was an australien dick smith one ?
--- Updated ---

It must be like the Jay Diddi's 7 transistor ESR meter where led is placed to detect a shorted capacitor.
then why didn't you build the Jay Diddi one ?

Nice features, and the graph leans between low ESR types and std e-caps which tend to be >10x greater ESR.
Since in any given cap family at fixed DC rating ESR*C= fixed T and the plot shows 10:100 range in C values.
ESR is also proportional to aspect ratio D/H as tall caps have more rolled foil in parallel for the same C value.

I always thought the original design of the blue-esr meter was an australien dick smith one ?
--- Updated ---

then why didn't you build the Jay Diddi one ?
I already built the Jay Diddi's esr meter now I want this (short cap) feature in Yorkshire's esr meter. How to modify or add a circuit for this?

I built this yorkie's ESR meter which is working as described. Can anyone tell me how to modify this circuit to include an LED to display when a capacitor is tested and is found to be shorted. I attach this diagram.
This design does not apply DC across the probes due to C5 and R18. Therefore the D.U.T probes see no difference between a 0 ESR cap and a short. In order to test for a S.C. you must apply a DC voltage or current across the TP 1&2 and detect this DC voltage, which goes against the design criteria, meaning a different tester like an Ohm Meter. Nice try though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…