Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD Protection for Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

technovm

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which device is suitable for protecting microcontroller against ESD - TVS Diodes or Multilayer varistors or Schottky Diodes?

While going to some sites in my opinion multilayer varistors are more suitable.

check this
Microcontroller Input Protection
**broken link removed**
check the discussion
microcontroller - ESD protection devices - necessary for MCUs? - Electrical Engineering - Stack Exchange

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/137964/

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/137964/

Thanks for the reply. But this dosen't answer my question. I am using Silabs controllers, and system used in plastic industry. My problem is that the code gets corrupt. The controller is not damaged and works well when reprogrammed. Please suggest what should I do.

For Siliconlabs controllers use good power supply then the program will not effect. most probably program will corrupt in high noise environment and in output controller action, these can be avoid with proper power supply.

For Siliconlabs controllers use good power supply then the program will not effect. most probably program will corrupt in high noise environment and in output controller action, these can be avoid with proper power supply.

what type of power supply do you suggest and what precautions should be taken in designing a power supply?

power supply should not generate any spikes( these are especially from SMPS power supplies only) . so try to use battery powered supply and test it . if it is working fine then the problem with your power supply, if it is not then please upload your schematic then i will correct that schematic.

power supply should not generate any spikes( these are especially from SMPS power supplies only) . so try to use battery powered supply and test it . if it is working fine then the problem with your power supply, if it is not then please upload your schematic then i will correct that schematic.

The system has multiple supply, 8V @ 250mA for controller and lcd display, 20V @ 150mA for sensor, 15V @ 250mA for H-bridge drive and limit switches, and 24V @ 5A for DC motor. All the supply are isolated and controller and drive and limit switches as well as the sensor are optically isolated. I have tried using smps as well as transformer and linear power supply. The system works fine at our end, when installed the program is getting corrupt only at some places. It is used in plastic industry. We have checked the earthing, neutral and earth has 0.6V so the earthing is good. We have also tried static removing devices. I think there is noise in the AC power or static problem. The first system we installed worked for 5 months, after which the program got corrupt. Second one worked for 2 hours. We reprogrammed the first system which worked and sent them, which is working, but I am not sure when the program will get corrupt.

Please help.

What type of memory is your program stored on? Is it reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back