Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error on counting distance between 2 rising edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBrian

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to count distance between two rising edges. i found a problem when i install the program into my Xilinx Spartan 3 starter kit, which the output is different from what i expected. The process is simply:

process(clock, clk_div)
begin

if ( (clock'event) and (clock = '1') ) then

temp <= temp + "000000000000000000000001"; --keep track the distance

if (clk_div = '0') then -- '0' because clk_div '1' length is as 1 clock wave

velocity <= temp; --save it to a register

temp <= "000000000000000000000000"; --reset the count

end if;

clk_div is an enable signal and sync with the clk. The simulation result using ISE 9.2i was perfect but the result when the whole program is installed is not as what i expected. After i check for errors, i found out that the temp signal is not incrementing. The value of signal temp is incrementing only once for any kind of inputs (so the velocity is always 1)

Does anybody know how can the error occur and how to fix it??

So far, i can only think that there's delay inside the FPGA which messed up the counting. Is it possible?? Will it help if i build a state machine for the signals??

sorry if my english and explanation is catastrophic.. THX!!! :p

Cheers,
Brian Angg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back