Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Erasing the Programming of Locked Atmega ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
atmel programming failed isp

badre2911 said:
hi,
i have atmega128 locked, i have tested with stk500 parrallel programma but failed, a window appear showing the clock div etc ..i have tested with program show in this forum with a cable parrallel and isp connected in my dev board and fail (can't sync).my atmega is solder cms in a devboard, touch xtal1 with finger is impossible.How can i dow please, must be buy another devboard ?
thanks for your response

If the chip is locked due to a wrong fuse settings, probably you can open it with various techniques mentioned here as many have found one or the other technique as usefull. But if the chip is damaged due to some reason, there is no way getting it right. Confirm your chip is ok and it is only the wrong fuse settings you need to reset. Good luck

entering programming mode failed atmega88 stk500

i think my atmega128 is not damaged because i can read with high voltage parralel with stk500, but i can't programmed it via stk500 (failed to entering programming),
when i attempt to change fuse or clock in the stk500 when i click to program in high voltage parrallel an error occurs from stk500 (entering programm failed).

i have avrisp mkii and is a same, i have tested with ponyprog and parrallel cable and is a same.

i can erase device and reset but not programmed it.

all lock bits is ok.

why in mode high voltage parrallel is not possible to retrieve my device ?

how can i do if my device is hs ?

Thanks in advance.

Added after 2 hours 21 minutes:

its ok now, i have appliqued a crystal 4Mhz in the pcb in parrallel of quartz from pcp and i have programmed fuse and now is ok.

Thanks.

Locked Atmega ...

@ctownsend:
is it ok to use an external rc oscillator(as per atmega32 datesheet,with capacitor between xtal1 and gnd and R connected to vcc) to revive d fused avr by your method???
will it work? since i cant use a crystal osci also...
pls advise....
thanks in advance

Re: Locked Atmega ...

thegameabh said:
@ctownsend:
is it ok to use an external rc oscillator(as per atmega32 datesheet,with capacitor between xtal1 and gnd and R connected to vcc) to revive d fused avr by your method???
will it work? since i cant use a crystal osci also...
pls advise....
thanks in advance

no, you have to use an oscillator. If you don't have an oscillator, you can input a square wave to xtal1. Any frequency will work from 40Khz to 1 MHz.

You can program another avr (if you have one) to output a square wave on one of the pins.

Now if the rstdisbl fuse is programmed, or the spien fuse has not been programmed, the only way is a parallel programmer.

I broke down and bought this parallel programmer that repairs the fuses in one second. It works good, i use it all the time.

see:
www.microcontrollerprog.com

the other day I don't know how it happened, but simply programming the fuses in an atmega8, it crashed. (suddenly can't read chip signature)

I just inserted the chip in the fuse repair programmer, and it was fixed instantly.

I was going to attempt to build an avr High Voltage Parallel programmer myself, but there are many wires to run (too many for a homemade single sided board)

It is nice to have a professional board ready for emergencies.

Good Luck

Locked Atmega ...

thanks ctownsend!!!!!!!!! we were finally able to revive the avr wid ur fuse repair prgram from dos!!

The problem we have now is i am able to program d controller from Ponyprog but not from Imagecraft's ICC AVR. it doesnt detect the avr..Does ICCAVR have any issues wid revived avr's???
thanks

thegameabh said:
thanks ctownsend!!!!!!!!! we were finally able to revive the avr wid ur fuse repair prgram from dos!!

The problem we have now is i am able to program d controller from Ponyprog but not from Imagecraft's ICC AVR. it doesnt detect the avr..Does ICCAVR have any issues wid revived avr's???
thanks

it is difficult to troubleshoot your problem without a schematic diagram of each of your programmers.

does the imagecraft programmer use the parallel port? Are you using windows?
Did this programmer ever work before on your computer? Does the programmer supply a clock signal to the microcontroller?

Hello, this is my first post here and i have a doubt.
ctownsend said that we must do a programmer that he posted in that .zip file and to put on a CD that image. he also mentioned not to run in Windows. How do we run it then? I know how we normally boot a CD, like when we install windows, but I am not sure what steps we must do to successfully reset the chips.
Thanks for you time!

RestRomania said:
How do we run it then?

It is a dos boot disk with software to automatically program the fuses.

You must have a parallel port on your PC.
(a usb to parallel port converted will not work)

You must be connected to LPT1 on your PC (if you have more than one parallel port)

Burn the cd image. (or use the floopy disc image creator)

Connect the programmer cable to the PC and ensure that the avr is powered up.

Boot your PC with the disc inserted in the drive. (ensure that your computer is set to boot from floppy or CD)

Follow the instructions in the menu.

If you messed up the CKSEL fuses, then this will fix your problem. If you programmed other fuses to disable ISP programming or RSTDISBL, then you need a parallel avr fuse repair programmer like the one in the link above.

hello, I build the programmer that ctownsend posted here, but i couldn t reset the uc. I have an atmega16. My board is ok, the programmer i have with a buffer is also ok, because i have a good uc and i can programm it, but i also want to fix my broke uc.
I ran a boot cd with the image that ctownsend recommended, but i got an error, that the reset pin... I don t remember it exactly, but it was someone else that had this error here. Does anyone have any idea what may be?
Thank you very much for your time.

RestRomania said:
hello, I build the programmer that ctownsend posted here, but i couldn t reset the uc. I have an atmega16. My board is ok, the programmer i have with a buffer is also ok, because i have a good uc and i can programm it, but i also want to fix my broke uc.
I ran a boot cd with the image that ctownsend recommended, but i got an error, that the reset pin... I don t remember it exactly, but it was someone else that had this error here. Does anyone have any idea what may be?
Thank you very much for your time.
Describe or post a picture of the reset circuit on the programmer & board. Remember that the programmer must be able to take control of the reset pin.

Need more info on the reset circuit, and also clock source to the mcu?

Did you try the programmer you built (in the diagram posted) on a good micro controller, on the same board?

I am not sure what the reset circuit is. I don't know what i should describe here, but i will describe a little my test board illustrated in the .brd posted here, where i did iron the crystal, and tried to reset the uc. on the board I have just a max232, an uln driver, the connector for the parallel programmer, and the rest are just outputs to connect everything i want, from sensors to lcd and so on( i explained this because it may not be so obvious at the first sight).
The board is functional and i can program good uc. My oscilator freq is 1 Mhz, the external clock works at 8Mhz.
please help me to recognize the reset circuit.
p.s. i should do a board where i should connect only the pins that are showned in ctownsend schematic? is that important?

RestRomania said:
i should do a board where i should connect only the pins that are showned in ctownsend schematic? is that important?
YES.
connect only the pins MISO,MOSI,SCK, RST, VCC, GND, and clock signal to xtal1.

The clock signal must be from an oscillator. You should temporarily remove your crystal on the board.

On your board, the reset pin on the atmega is not connected to the ISP 10 pin connector. You can temporarily wire the reset pin directly to the programmer cable.

If this does not work, you need a parallel programmer or the fuse repair programmer described in the above link.

Hey, I made the schematic you posted here and I couldn't reset. Same error..
Can't resync
Reset pin released.
I have a doubt though, my oscilator has 4 pins. One of them has a small dot, so I considered that it is the first one, and kept using them like it was represented in ctownsend. I have no idea how I can find out which pin is which.
the code wrote on it is YIC B9, 1mHz, OSC-5/p
Nothing useful on google so far.
Thanks

maybe you connected the oscillator backwards?
if so, you may have destroyed it.

do you have another circuit with a working avr? You can connect xtal2 from the working circuit to xtal1 of the avr you are trying to program.

Give it a try. Keep in mind that you should try to keep the clock signal as low as possible. (lower than 4MHz)

i'll connect xtal2 from an working avr to the xtal1 of this not working avr.
but if this is not the cause why my avr's are not working, are there any other ways to reset them (by reset i mean to make them work)?

RestRomania said:
i'll connect xtal2 from an working avr to the xtal1 of this not working avr.
but if this is not the cause why my avr's are not working, are there any other ways to reset them (by reset i mean to make them work)?

If your avr is not permanently damaged, then a parallel programmer will reprogram the fuses. There is a link to a fuse programmer in one of the threads above.

Hi everybody, there are lot of things here to study.. and guys I suffer a little of time.
I guess for you my problem is very easy to solve, I hope for.

I programmed for the first time an ATmega8, following this project:
**broken link removed**
With Ponyprog2000, and set fuses like this: https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~he.../firmware/USB2LPT6/PonyProg Fuses.png?bin=PNG

But the windows can't associate after the driver to the new USB device, like the ATmega still "blank", but I verified fuses and firmware, they're copied right.
So it may be a problem of fuses (somethign wrong and the mcu don't boot) or a driver wrong, I don't know. Problem n°1 but now there is big one for me.

Problem n°2. I'm really newbie with ATmega and I think it was good idea to reset ALL fuses (means all blank, see pict) and then write them back correctly. But chip doesn't reply so I guess I take off the internal clock as you wrote here.

My question is. If I put a TTL 3,69MHz clock into the pin 7 and leave the circuit connected to Ponyprog may I have chances to set again the fuses?
Can u please have a look at the fuses picture and say me if that will solve problem? I think yes because I can't modify the SPIEN fuse..
Thank you a lot!!

Anyone could help?
I applied a 4Mhz souce but the chip seams KO. Probably when I erased the flas ram I also erased bootloader and the SPI flash programming feature. Is that possibile?

I guess I need now to reprogram it in parallel mode. There are any homemade programmers? I guess it's more convenient to buy a new ATmega8, do you know if any device has the booloader and SPI programming emabled from the factory?

I'm very sad :(

Locked Atmega ...

No need to use high volt programmer....
You can easily reset fuse bits usimg external clock. U can use another PIC or AVR controller to reset fuse bit.

Thank you a lot for reply!
Can u please say me how? I used the same program anche connector to old LPT port as before, I put a TTL clock of 4MHz to pin 7, but the MCU isn't ready and program ask me for retry-ignore-abort. Just the read command works (one error before but pressing Ignore it works). I tried also with clock less then 1MHz

How could I recover it?
If I erase all the flash did I cancel also boot loader and now it can't boot UP in SPI programming mode (SPI or I2C, I don't know).

Please explain me,
thanks
Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.