Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

epoxy glass FR-4 colors and where to find them

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
see this picture. When I print PCBs, most of the FR-4 I find is the bottom color one.
I would like to find the left one. This was used on older PCBs (70's 80's).
Any ideas what to find them and how these are called? (if they have a special name)

Attachments

• epoxy glass fr4.jpg
    epoxy glass fr4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 90

Hi,

never thought about the color of the FR4 base material...

Usually the color of a PCB is dominated by the solder resist color.

Maybe the base material color really is different, but there also may be other reasons:
* copper plating or not
* blackened copper traces (Some decades ago one chemically blackened copper traces for better solder resist bonding. Maybe they also blackened the base materieal side of the copper. Don´t know)

Hi,

never thought about the color of the FR4 base material...

Usually the color of a PCB is dominated by the solder resist color.

Maybe the base material color really is different, but there also may be other reasons:
* copper plating or not
* blackened copper traces (Some decades ago one chemically blackened copper traces for better solder resist bonding. Maybe they also blackened the base materieal side of the copper. Don´t know)
These old PCBs I am aware of, did not have a solder mask at all. The traces were either gold plated of tin plated and the FR4 was bare, no solder mask.
I want to see if I can re-create the vintage look of these PCBs, with this nice blueish-greenish FR4 color.

Even datasheets of major FR4 vendors (e.g. Isola, Panasonic, Tapco) have no specification of laminate color. I still see greyish laminate at some PCBs, but obviously we have other criteria for selecting substrates in professional design.

I would ask PCB manufacturer or DIY shops if they have PCB substrates with specific color available.
--- Updated ---

GFK laminates are specifically made for other purposes than PCB, e.g. 3D-printer support and general mechanical applications. Some with bulk coloring.

Last edited:

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back