Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

English grammar question: using of "the"

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a high-speed system with multi-gigabit serial interface, the link data rate and the transmission distance are often limited by channel loss. Serial signal redriver can extend the distance of the link. Sitting between the transmitter and receiver, the redriver not only restores the attenuated signal amplitude, but also reduces ISI timing jitter.

This is the first chapter I prepared for a document. But I have so much confusion of using "the". Can any native speaker help me with it?

Added after 16 minutes:

I tried to make another version. But not sure which one has less mistakes.

In a high-speed system with multi-gigabit serial interface, link data rate and transmission distance are often limited by channel loss. Serial signal redriver can extend the bandwidth of a link. Sitting between a pair of transmitter and receiver, a redriver not only restores attenuated signal amplitude, but also reduces ISI timing jitter.

In best English the first version is correct but use of the same word several times in one sentence is not considered good.

The second version is more concise, it is the one I would prefer to see.

English is like many languages, it has changed over time and has simplified by taking out words which are not absolutely necessary. Some people will use 'the' all the time some will use it rarely, there isn't really a standard rule any more.

What is your native language?

Brian.

betwixt said:
The second version is more concise, it is the one I would prefer to see.

I would say there should be one "the":

In a high-speed system with multi-gigabit serial interface, the link data rate and transmission distance are often ...

There should be a "the" for what follows, but not one for each item of what could be considered a "list". That is the best I can remember from my education, anyway :)

Keith.

Use "the" when you are talking about a SPECIFIC item.

ex.

Generic:

In a high-speed system with multi-gigabit serial interface, link data rate and transmission distance are often limited by channel loss.

Specific:

In a high-speed system with multi-gigabit serial interface, the link data rate and the transmission distance are often limited by channel loss.

General:
I ate a meal.
Specific:
I ate the meal.

Hope this helps.

Red

Hi there.

"the" is a definit article while its counterpart "a" is the indefinit article. So if you're wanting to be specific you use "the" if you don't need to be specific "a" will suffice or as you will see in many cases in English you don't have to use any article i.e "the or "a".

Look at these.

For example if you are speaking about a substance like wine, hydrogen in general then you don't use an article at all.

I like wine. Hydrogen is explosive when you add air. (Here you are referring to all of a given thing, all wine, all hydrogen)

I like a wine to be cooled before drinking it. A hydrogen atom is quite small. (Again you are talking in a general sense)

The wine on the table is great. (a specific wine). The hydrogen atom that we are looking at is about to lock on to the oxygen atom. ( a specific atom).

Here are some exceptions.

When we use superlatives in English like faster or most aggressive. We always use the definit article "the".

He's the best student.
She's the most wonderful strip dancer I've ever seen.
In these circumstances you always use "the".

In the other cases mentioned above if you are in real doubt you can leave out "the" and people will nearly always understand you well.

I like girls. I like the girls. (they are both correct and whoever your with will understand the only difference between these tow is the first sentence is speaking in a general sense and the second is talking about a specific group).

If you're still in doubt let me know.

English is not a hard language to learn. (In general)
The English you speak is very good. (Specific your English)
The English they speak in Scotland is fantastic. (Specific Scotland's English)
English is everwhere. (English in general)
He speaks the best English and he's the most liked student. ( Both superlative cases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back