Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emulation for linux under WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Emulation under WinXP

Is there any reliable, low footprint, emulators for Linux that I can use under WinXP?

I only need to compile / debug some code libraries for an embedded linux kernel once in a while so I do not want to have to use a whole workstation just for that. Dual boot is not an option as our admin will not allow it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Re: Emulation under WinXP

j2356r said:
Is there any reliable, low footprint, emulators for Linux that I can use under WinXP?

I only need to compile / debug some code libraries for an embedded linux kernel once in a while so I do not want to have to use a whole workstation just for that. Dual boot is not an option as our admin will not allow it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Look VMWARE:
h**p://www.vmware.com/

and Microsoft Virtual PC
h**p://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/
h**p://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1378269,00.asp

thanks dude

I already tried the vmware & connectix products some time ago, but thanks for the links.

I did not really want to install a virtual system & full OS, if I wanted to install a full OS I would just use another workstation, but the issue is when the developers are off site using notebooks without xxx G of RAM to play with.

The connectix products caused me a lot of trouble before, perhaps MS have fixed it now with 2004 release, who knows.

Both programs seem to have issues when the workstation is joined on a domain with GPO defined for security. Seems even although the virtual OS should be independant with direct HW access some of the security definitions from the server still effect how it uses the network interfaces (I had mount issues as there was no permisions to access the drive).

Had some isues with cygwin as well due to domain joining (W2K DNS suffix to host name & so on).

But I would have liked something that allowed me to run the gnu compiler (de-bugger optional) without loading the whole OS.

I am not at all familiar with Linux so I am perhaps missing something obvious.

All I need to do is compile an object library for an embedded linux kernel (coldfire target).

I read in the release notes for MS VPC 2004 that the Linux OS is not specifically supported, what a suprise :lol:

Cheers

yes, cygwin gives you a pretty good linux on your windows
even ddd compiles and works if you install an x-server!

mingw is another option to compile linux software on windows.

Antharax

Status
Not open for further replies.