Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics game help. Very elementary questions/New to electronic troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsonbob

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So my idea for a halloween costume is a large scale, functional and lit-up simon (the old electronic memory game) costume.

The question I have, is since the power source for the game I have in hand right now is only about 4.5v (and those that can be acquired are only 6v), how can I modify the power source in order to allow me to power a 9v lamps in place of the existing LED lamps in the game.

Is this at all possible? I realize that the easy solution could be to simply increase the entire power source for the game, however I do not want to fry the remainder of the electronic components that do not require that high of a power source.

I am also willing to consider a change in light source in order to meet my available voltage resources, I simply want it brighter than the preexisting lights that came with the game, due to the large scale of the costume itself. Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thank you.

If you're looking to make it playable, there is the obvious question of pushbutton functionality. What did you have in mind for that? As to the displays, you will almost certainly need a separate or at least much more robust power supply. What exactly did you intend for the new lights and how large a surface?

Last edited:

I intended to keep the lights separate from the pushbuttons themselves. As for the lights, I am simply going to go on the cheapest (and simplest route that I have yet to think of). I plan to use the office dividers that are made of plastic and colored, and hide a light, along with a push-button under them. Thus there will be a light separate light source for each red, green, yellow and blue window. As far as push-buttons go I intend to use the biggest (most user friendly) momentary push-button that I can find for a decent price. I know this is slightly difficult as many momentary switches are small in size, but I am hoping to find buttons similar to this:

As far as a light source goes, it only needs to be bright enough to light the windows I intend to make. They are fairly transparent, and thus a massive light is not required.

Since the electronics board itself sends the signal directly to the existing light displays as to when and when not to light up, how could I modify the powersource going to these lights in order to power a brighter light? In reality, a bright LED light source might do the job, but I was worried that the directionality of LED's light would hinder the cosmetics of the costume.

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 ----------

the link i meant to provide is
pb5_push_button_2_round_b15646.jpg

Post count limitations prevented me from posting it in my last post.

I just thought of something that could solve everything. Use large led tap lights converted to the colors you need. Wire the switches to your existing game board and use driver transistors in place of the existing led or lamp outputs to switch the tap lights on and off.

I don't mean to be a bother, but could you perhaps explain further about the driver transistors. A simple rundown of their function and a photo would be extremely helpful, as I only have minor electronics experience (very minor).

Also, since the led tap lights are not momentary, how could I modify them to be momentary switches?

---------- Post added at 02:42 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

I do however, think that the LED tap lights is a brilliant idea.

Thank you very much. You're solved all my questions exactly thus far. I'll post up here if I run into any major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.