Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic radiation production and detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeroshady

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys, I'm working on a physics project about the study of electromagnetic waves including their production and detection. I need help with the electronics part.

My questions regarding the production:

1) Will just a tank circuit be enough to produce electromagnetic waves, propagated through an antenna?

2)How do I supply power to charge the capacitor? (where do I connect a voltage source?)
And do I need a constant power supply or provide feedback to the circuit?

3) Where do I connect the antenna?

Regarding detection:

I'm pretty clueless about this one. I want something to happen, like an LED to glow, when the receiver circuit receives the radiation and resonates. How should I go about this?

P.S. The circuit diagram probably looks very stupid, please excuse me. physics.PNG

Hi Xeroshady

1) Will just a tank circuit be enough to produce electromagnetic waves, propagated through an antenna?
No ! you have to add an amplifier stage , which can be based on Jfet amplifier , stage .
Question : why you have used a DC source and a key , there ? to create damped oscillations ??!
And do I need a constant power supply or provide feedback to the circuit?
What kind of feedback you want to add to your circuit ? and why feedback ?
3) Where do I connect the antenna?
Let me discipline your scenario :
You'll need a tank circuit , and an antenna , and then a high impedance amplifier and then some other stages . but , may i know what kind of electromagnetic signal is your desired one , please ? as it appears you're trying to make a receiver for radio stations ! is that right ?

For more help , more specifications are required .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Sorry for asking such newbie questions, but I haven't got a clue of what to do.

My assumption was that you have to charge one plate of a capacitor and connect it to an inductor to get sustained oscillations. So the DC source would be there to charge the capacitor, and the switch be opened to disconnect the source from the circuit and leave the tank circuit to oscillate.

I wanted to know if I need positive feedback to the tank circuit to re-charge the capacitor so that oscillations continue, without the need for a DC source

I'm concentrating on the low frequency end of the EM spectrum, maybe the infrared - microwave - radiowave range, only because EM waves in these regions are relatively easy to produce (I presume?), transmit and receive

What ever feed back you are using the signal strength of the generated sinsoid will be relatively less so you need voltage amplifier and for proper transmission the power has to be stepped up

In this in mind do the following steps

An oscillatory circuit I think this can be easily googled out then a most preferrable Common Emitter amplifier stage followed by either a collector follower or a darlington pair to power the signal up and then feed it to the transmitter

Sorry for asking such newbie questions, but I haven't got a clue of what to do.

My assumption was that you have to charge one plate of a capacitor and connect it to an inductor to get sustained oscillations. So the DC source would be there to charge the capacitor, and the switch be opened to disconnect the source from the circuit and leave the tank circuit to oscillate.

I wanted to know if I need positive feedback to the tank circuit to re-charge the capacitor so that oscillations continue, without the need for a DC source

I'm concentrating on the low frequency end of the EM spectrum, maybe the infrared - microwave - radiowave range, only because EM waves in these regions are relatively easy to produce (I presume?), transmit and receive
You are confusing me .
May i give you one advise ? it is a bit hard to guide you because you don't have enough knowledge in this area ( or perhaps i'm wrong ? if yes pardon me ) . hence i can suggest you another option :
Read and learn basics of electronics and circuit analysis before attempting to do something like this .
Best Wishes and Good luck
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back