Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earthing vs grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
...The main problem here do I need to connect the earth to the ground (which is the ground of the DC voltage regulator, and the ground of all digital modules including the microcontroller). I think I don't have to connect this connection, no I think it's not wise to do that am I right???...

You must take in mind the diference at reference point, and current flow path.
There is no problem to you interconnect all that ground nodes.
Moreover, it is mandatory to be refered on same point.

However, the concept of different planes, consists to isolate as much as possible the ground planes into definite geometric regions, but electrically connected. The reason to do that, is to minimize effect of current flowing at sensitive circuitry, wich can drop different voltages at different ground points.

+++

In a module i think its manual will specify whether its AGND and DGND pins (if they exist) can be shorted. Normally they shouldn't be connected.

Last edited:

Ok Thanks anyway for you help:wink:

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

You must take in mind the diference at reference point, and current flow path.
There is no problem to you interconnect all that ground nodes.
Moreover, it is mandatory to be refered on same point.

However, the concept of different planes, consists to isolate as much as possible the ground planes into definite geometric regions, but electrically connected. The reason to do that, is to minimize effect of current flowing at sensitive circuitry, wich can drop different voltages at different ground points.

+++

I totally agree with you, In these cases I use an optoisolator in my circuit to isolate different ground plane.

Guys sorry to re-trigger this issue but how are the circuits in the plane earthed????

Earth connections are only needed if the supply lines could be shorted to earth and you want to a protection if that happens. In an airplane the earth would be the conducting plane shell. So any protection system would work with that as a reference.

mohamed.elsabagh said:
how are the circuits in the plane earthed????
They are not (obviously :smile:). "Chassis" is the right term for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back