Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual CPU PC and LINUX for EDA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodboy_pl

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
according to:

http://www.specbench.org/cpu2000/results/rint2000.html

the speed of a dual cpu pc (intel or amd) is comparable to a sun blade 2000.
I want to know is it possible to install Linux on a dual CPU PC ?
If so which version of linux is better for this.
also I want to know if the current EDAs can use the dual cpu structures efficiently?

thanks!

linux kernel after 2.4 support dual CPU, so you just install the latset version from Redhat, Mandrake will be fine.
but i am not sure which EDA tool for linux can utilize these features, maybe should try it

I think that if EDAs on Linux use multi-threadings it should work fine
with 2 processors :roll:

As I know linux support many CPU (more than 2 !! )
the Windoze is capable of working with maximum 16 CPU (only advanced server OS)

but I didn't saw such a computer.....
maybe it is accesible only to big company.

personal I prefere specialized systems.

I don't know yet any EDA tool that can use the second CPU. ...maybe a special release....

anyway if you have money for this hardware then you will also have money for special (not cheap) EDA tool.

I have a dual processor PC with linux (RH8) and I use EDA tools.

For the tests I did multiprocessors machines are not so usefull.

1)Synopsys DC doesn't use multiprocessors in the normal configuration.
You have to use the ACS (Automated Chip Synthesis) Feature of Synopsys to use multiprocessos machines.
Remeber that with you need 1 license for each pair of procesors...... :?

2)Synplify 7.2.x *should* use a bit better multiprocessors machine.
I asume that becouse the Win version of Synplify seems to like multiprocessors machine.......
Older versions like 7.0.x don't......

3)I know that most of Cadence tools automatically use SMP machines......

Cheers

Fib

Dual CPU in Linux

The redhat version 7.2 or new release supports more CPU structures. We used Dell Linux server with 16 Xeron processors. It supportsd Cadence, Mentor EDA tools. If you would like to take advantage of dual CPU capacities, you had better use Xeron instead of Pendium 4.

Hi spweda,

May you specify which Cadence or Mentor tools can take advantage of dual CPUs Linux machine ?

Thanks for your info in advance : )

sunjimmy said:
Hi spweda,

May you specify which Cadence or Mentor tools can take advantage of dual CPUs Linux machine ?

Thanks for your info in advance : )

$ynopsys: Physical C0mplier, Hercu1es
C@dence: Nan0route
Ment0r: Cal1bre

Thank you for your useful informations!
I asked this question from a computer man and he answered:

1. RedHat 7.2 supports dual CPU computers.
2. Although some softwares are not optimized for multi processor computers, they offer higher performance on dual CPU PCs, because the os have its own tasks and processes in run which can reduce computer speed.
3. Some EDAs specially DRC tools like ones from Ment0r and C@dence and digital synthesis tools support second processor but it seems that they need extra feature in lic file.
4. for analog and RF design it is better to have a high speed and up to date
single cpu PC because typically such simulation run on one cpu, though some cad tools like @DS support multiple machine simulation for speeding up the sweep and monte carlo simulations.

I am run LDV4.1 on RH9 SMP (Intel 3.06G HT enable ) and view cpu load with xosview, cpu load always keep on 50%,if don't using SMP kernal cpu load up to 99%.why?

As I have experience, LDV not support SMP. So it runs only on 1 CPU in SMP systems. May be there is another version for SMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.