Not open for further replies.

bbarney

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stp16c596 74hc595

I just want to ask if this chip a stp16c596 is capable of running a dual color matrix located at the bottom of page by it's self in place of 2 74hc595 and 1 uln2803 to run it.I'am not too good with the datasheets and i'am unsure it can handle the current properly.I want to make a moving display with 8 or 10 of these matrix's and the fewer chips the simpler it will be to wire up.I'll be using a pic chip to run the shift registers,any suggestion's are appreciated
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=681
https://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/10154/stp16c596.pdf

buy stp16c596 canada

LOL:) the data sheet on there site i cant get too it arrives and downloads the page headers are there but no texts etc so anyway

a pic sinks max 150-175 ma per io pin

i dont see any problem running a single one using bus etc

i think if your making a moving display use drivers or buffers to get more sink current capcity {measure it with a meter on peek hold at the common load resistor divide by the number of i/os to get average current per pin when all lit in bicolour mode}

bbarney

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
led matrix dual color

do you mean use a uln2803 as well.I uploaded the datasheets

dual color led matrix

Hi,

As far as I can see from datasheets you can replace 2 74hc595s and 2 ULN2803 by one STP16C596. There are two differences:
1. ULN2803 has greater current sink capability (500 vs. 120 mA)
2. STP16C596 has courent sources so that you don't need resistors in series with LED's, and you can regulate currents through all LEDs by one resistor only.

Hope this help you.

Pop

bbarney

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes that's the part I was concerned about the 500 vs 120ma.I got some chips today so I quess it's time to play
thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…