Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all. i want to create two circuits which are activated by their proximity to each other. i had thought of using a reed switch. this would allow me to use a magnet on circuit A to activate the switch in circuit B but the effect could not be mirrored because the magnet would activate whichever switch it it near. i dont want to make a physical connection because the circuits are separated by a non conductive material. can anyone think of how i might be able to accomplish this? thanks.
Dan.

Reed switches are a natural for this purpose, as you know.

If 'A' is close to 'B' then that automatically means 'B' is close to 'A'. A magnet in circuit A closes the reed switch in circuit B.

So then suppose you make circuit B produce some other type of signal, to turn on circuit A?

A light signal? A radio signal? A sound signal?

thanks for the reply. yes this would be a primitive means of getting them talking to each other. the thing is, i wanna keep things simple and cheap. ive been having a look at hall effect sensors and due to their ability to react differently to the poles of the magnet (which reed switches on experimentation do not) i'm thinking i might be able to create a setup which allows me to activate two switches with 2 magnets facing in different directions. ive ordered the switches and will have a play around with them when i get them but if anyone has a simple method sooner that would be great. seems like it should be a simple problem to solve....?

Status
Not open for further replies.