Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual circuit proximity activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all. i want to create two circuits which are activated by their proximity to each other. i had thought of using a reed switch. this would allow me to use a magnet on circuit A to activate the switch in circuit B but the effect could not be mirrored because the magnet would activate whichever switch it it near. i dont want to make a physical connection because the circuits are separated by a non conductive material. can anyone think of how i might be able to accomplish this? thanks.
Dan.

Reed switches are a natural for this purpose, as you know.

If 'A' is close to 'B' then that automatically means 'B' is close to 'A'. A magnet in circuit A closes the reed switch in circuit B.

So then suppose you make circuit B produce some other type of signal, to turn on circuit A?

A light signal? A radio signal? A sound signal?

Reed switches are a natural for this purpose, as you know.

If 'A' is close to 'B' then that automatically means 'B' is close to 'A'. A magnet in circuit A closes the reed switch in circuit B.

So then suppose you make circuit B produce some other type of signal, to turn on circuit A?

A light signal? A radio signal? A sound signal?

thanks for the reply. yes this would be a primitive means of getting them talking to each other. the thing is, i wanna keep things simple and cheap. ive been having a look at hall effect sensors and due to their ability to react differently to the poles of the magnet (which reed switches on experimentation do not) i'm thinking i might be able to create a setup which allows me to activate two switches with 2 magnets facing in different directions. ive ordered the switches and will have a play around with them when i get them but if anyone has a simple method sooner that would be great. seems like it should be a simple problem to solve....?

Status
Not open for further replies.