Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DT-5302 Ammeter, ID of burned Q9 and Q10 components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjahopper

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sorry if this is the wrong forum!

Hi guys, some 10+ years ago, i bought a DT-5302 Ammeter. Great thing. Worked like a charm.

One day, my dad came along and hooked it to my 220V mains. Lo and behold, a spark, smoke and a godawful smell. I tied my old man up to a lamp post and...yeah...long story short, we ended up opening up the meter together and we couldnt ID the parts that were burned. Could you guys lend us a hand? (we sent the pic to the manufacturer, nope, no replies, they probl. want more sales but its a shame throwing the meter away if all one has to do is to change a fuse and replace Q9 and Q10)

Best
Ninjahopper and his upset dad

Attachments

• DSC04577.png
    DSC04577.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 202

Poor Dad. Time to forgive and untie him I think.

Try wiping the top of the two transistors with a cloth and a little rubbing alcohol to remove the blast marks. There is a code marked on them, usually two or three letters or numbers. See if you can read them and let us know what they are.

Brian.

Thanks alot for the reply. It was a great idea to have a closer look at them. It says "L 6" on them.

Could it be the: 2SC1623-L6? If yes, forgive my ignorance, could you perhaps elaborate as to why one would need this transistor in exactly this configuration? What would the purpose of this transistor be you think?

1603199298566.png

It is difficult to tell why that part is used in that meter without knowing its schematic. There is nothing special about the 2SC1623, it is a general purpose part with many equivalents. Most likely it was the cheapest available at the time the meter was manufactured.

If you can't find the exact replacement, almost any SOT-23 packaged NPN transistor with a Vce rating of 50V or higher and an IC rating of 100mA or more will work equally well.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back