Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dsPic30f4011 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afzal Hossain Khan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I've used pickit2 to programme my dspic30f4011 mcu.I've enabled write protection feature and now i need to re-programme those mcu.I use mplab c30 compilar.I'm not being able to re-programme.Please help me to get around this problem.

Have you tried manually erasing the entire device, before attempting to reprogram it?

If the program memory is code protected, the device program memory can not be read from the device using in-circuit serial programming or the device programmer. Further code cannot be programmed into the device without first erasing the entire general code segment.

The program memory protection register uses only two configuration bits, the others are unimplemented. The two configuration bits must be programmed as a group, i.e. it is not possible to change only one of them.

If the code protect and write protect of the program memory are enabled, a full chip erase must be performed to change the state of either bit.

BigDog

Hi BigDog,
That means it is not possible for me to erase he entire general code segment with pickit2 ? I tried to erase by pickit2 but it didn't work.

That means it is not possible for me to erase he entire general code segment with pickit2 ? I tried to erase by pickit2 but it didn't work.

Are you using a genuine or clone PICkit2?

If clone, there maybe an issue of an out of spec programming voltage:

dsPIC 4012, 2011 Bulk Erase to clear code protect

Unfortunately, I do not have a PICkit available to verify as I primarily use ICD2/3, however I believe you certainly should be able to erase the entire device with a PICkit.

You need to erase/blank the entire device, not just the "general code segment."

BigDog

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

I found several references to the requirements of erasing a code protected dsPIC30, stating an external power supply with Vdd >= 4.5V must be present to successfully blank erase the device and the device must NOT be powered by the PICkit 2 during erasure.

Also have you downloaded the latest PICkit 2 Programming Application:

**broken link removed**

There are several updates concerning this issue in the latest release.

BigDog

I've powered the mcu externally and voltage range is > 4.6 . actually I've supplied 4.9v. now its working . thank you .

Good and glad to hear it helped.

It appears the PICkit errata was correct.

I rarely if ever power a dev board or design using a programmer/debugger on any device platform for these types of reasons.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.