Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] Driving Large 2.3" 7 Segment Display serially using MAX7219

Status
Not open for further replies.

asking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
2bqgl1.jpg

The schematic shown about is what i am trying implement.

Just problem is 74HC540 is not available with me. Is there any other option to drive 2.3" Inch Large seven segment display from MAX7219 ?

I have read datasheet and it says. it can sink 500mA max for total of 8 digits. I have big 2.3" 4 Display consuming around 500mA. I directly tried to sink with MAX7219 No issue it works. But still i find it unsafe to avoid damage to Max7219 driver ic.

Any suggestions ?

I want to drive 4 x 7 Segment 2.3" inch display using SPi. and also i want to change brightness using Max7219 intensity register (0-A).

Please share some thoughts..!:grin:

I am not sure how your circuit is planned to work. The ULN2803 will pull each digit to ground with a high input.
If I read the MAX7219 correct, the digits outputs are active high, and since the 2803 uses a active high input the circuit does not need the74HC540. I hope you plan to use resistors in series with each segment.

You should emulate led currrent somehow because MAX7219 using current driver for each segment. I recomend you to use MAX7219 directly.

You should emulate led currrent somehow because MAX7219 using current driver for each segment. I recomend you to use MAX7219 directly.

Wonderful....it worked like charm :) working normal. Just used Positive side driver UDN2981 and Sink side directly to MAX7219. Initially i though it would get hot, but nothing.

Thanks...for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.