Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubt regarding multicycle path setup and hold anlysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikas_33

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In our design we r generating 1MHZ clock from 8mhz clock.
There are some logic in design where we are sending data from 8Mhz to 1 MHZ.
Do we need to set multicyle paths for setup and hold check?
Thanks

I think they should be defined as false paths, since they are clearly crossing clock domains.

Hi,

If the clocks are from the same source(when you say you are generating the 1MHz clock from 8 MHz then these two clocks should belong to the same domain) you need to set the 1MHz clock as a derived clock and define the corresponding parameters. When you do this the tool will automatically check the timing of the signals that cross the freq domains.

Thanks
Prasad

It's no need to set multi cycles etc.
Once you declared generate clock with the correct clock phase. STA will automatically decide the launch clock edge and capture clock edge.

I Believe if there is a generated that is derived from the source clock then its sure that the clocks cannot be asynchronous. And u need to setup a multicycle path because the data may not be captured in 1 clock cycle because ur generated clock is 8 time slower than the original clock. So i suggest take help of designers and try to confirm what MCP to give..

Thanks
Keertiprasad

Hi, ALL:
Yes, you can set something to let the tool treate these (8MHZ --> 1MHZ and 1MHZ --> 8MHZ) paths as SYNC path, and analysis timing between the path. I can be done.
But the problem maybe: it's hard for tool to fix the hold timing violation (may increase a lot in gate count to fix hold violation).
A better method maybe: design grant these paths are ASYNC path, and add synchronization logic between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back