Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

double about sata ip device controller design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjww110

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to design a sata device controller, which risc i will select? normal mcu or arm or avr ? please give me your advice , thx in advance!!

SATA supports usual list of standard ATA command. But there is big problem because specific modules (serializer/deserializer) are accessible not for all. ATA commands you can support at any cpu ("normal mcu or arm or avr") but what will you do with it?
It needs to make deserializer module. And don't forget the SATA signals in LVDS (hardware level) very few types of cpu support such ports inside (FPGA supports them more often).

Conclusion: use finished SATA controller: PCI to SATA, some host to SATA etc

From **broken link removed**

Discussing SATA is difficult because: a) SATA was created by a "secret society" that prohibits members from talking outside of their meetings, b) current SATA documents are available only to the members of the "secret society", c) by the time a SATA document is made public it is basically obsolete and has been replaced by a new but secret SATA document, d) the SATA "secret society" is working with the Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) committee(s) to also replace SCSI, e) the SATA documents that are public may be or will be re-published (probably with some changes?) by the T10 and T13 standards committees. All of this makes SATA a very confusing mess!

Could you please tell me that, when you say Device controller means....you design and develop Phy Layer interface, Link Layer interface and Transport Layer interface all this required to develop when we say Device controller??????

Compvision, is it true tht SATA spec is difficult to get??.....coz recently i got SATA gold spec. from net.....Is it not the true spec????

Comments are welcome.....

Thanks in advance...

vcnvcc said:
Could you please tell me that, when you say Device controller means....you design and develop Phy Layer interface, Link Layer interface and Transport Layer interface all this required to develop when we say Device controller??????

Compvision, is it true tht SATA spec is difficult to get??.....coz recently i got SATA gold spec. from net.....Is it not the true spec????

Comments are welcome.....

Thanks in advance...

I didn't try to get spec. I only posted link to www.ata-atapi.com/sata.htm where they say this is not free for all ....

If you got SATA spec. could you please share it with me.
comp.vision (at) gmail.com

I would go through it for advise

Thanks

you can download spec when you use google to search sata__2.5_gold.pdf!! my question is : the capacity of normal mcu to support so complex sata command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back