Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does propagation delay of the system decide the frequency of the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathi.ec

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is propagation delay of the system decides the frequency of the system?

Thanks regards

Re: Propagation Delay

Not necessarily. You'll need to understand the entire design to find the correct frequency. Are you designing something in particular?

Propagation Delay

propagation delay - u mean Tp(HL) and Tp(LH) is isnt?

there are ways by which u can reduce the propagation delay in large fan in circuits..

such as transistor sizing, prograssive transistor sizing, input re-ordering..

sometimes u can increase the switching speeds of the transistors also..

by increasin the w/l ratio, reduce the load capacitance.. reduce the startup resistance of the transistor or even by increasin the value of Vdd...

jes refer jan rabey book on digital integrated circuits..

wud help u..

the propagation delay of the longest path of the system decides the operating freequency.

In some applications, propagation delay may not be your only determining factor. You'll need to understand, at a higher level than propagation delay, how the overall chip operates. Usually, you want to understand the bounding frequencies of your design. That is, how low and how high of a frequency you could go and still have the chip work.

For example, if you were designing a DMA path, it would be a good idea to understand the characteristics of the data being DMA'd and the DMA controller. In other cases, altering frequencies between two clock domains could cause synchronization problems.

The next thing I would consider is cost.

I could keep rambling on, but I think you get the idea...

Propagation Delay

the max frequence is decided by the longest delay path

u should meet the follow :
Tco + Tcl_max + Tsu <= T + Tskew
Tco: Register delay from clk to output
Tcl_max: the max combinational logic delay
Tsu: Setup time
Tskew: CLock skew

Propagation Delay

anjali .. i think its critical path.. and not propagation delay..critical path is the longest path thru the circuit which decides the operational frequency of the circuit.

with regards,

I guess you're talking about the max freq of a board, not of a chip. For a board, if the clocking scheme is system synchronous, the propagation delay(accurately, flight time) determines the max freq of your board; while if the clocking scheme is source synchronized, by properly routing your board, there's no propagation/flight time difference between your clock/stobe signal and data bus, then the propagation/flight time will have no impact on your sysytem freq.
hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back