Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DOES computer ATX power supply accepts DC 220v ????!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro nS

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

for some reason i want to feed DC power into my PC ,

my plan is to using 4 diode rectifier then a huge capacitor bank (electrolytic 400v) to rectify the mains .

does the computer atx power supply accepts 220v dc input ???

i know it is smps , it is corsair gs 600 , the datasheet does not mention this subject .

I think it can .
SMPS works under AC / DC

thank u , but i donot need "i think " i want to know for sure , i donot want to blow up my power supply or computer

it might be dangerous and 1000$ loss for me

ATX supplies aren't all built the same way, and I know some designs (especially those with PFC) won't work with DC inputs.

All ATX supplies convert the AC to DC before using it anyway so in theory, yes you can. As Mtwieg points out though, there are sometimes additional circuits between the ATX AC input and it's own rectifiers that might cause a problem. Individual designs will vary on this point.

The form factor correction circuit is not necessary if you use a DC supply so you could bypass it but some work inside the PSU would be needed to do that.

Brian.

hello
my plan is to using 4 diode rectifier then a huge capacitor bank (electrolytic 400v) to rectify the mains .
does the computer atx power supply accepts 220v dc input ???

This is exactly what the power supply's front end does. Why would you want to do it twice?

To your question...it can be done.
But, the PSU's front end provides additional functions..... it provides surge protection, inrush current limiting, fusing and EMI suppression. All of which would be bypassed with your solution.

This is exactly what the power supply's front end does. Why would you want to do it twice?

To your question...it can be done.
But, the PSU's front end provides additional functions..... it provides surge protection, inrush current limiting, fusing and EMI suppression. All of which would be bypassed with your solution.

thank u for ur answer , you actually shed light on the source of the problem ,
let me start again : the problem is when the power goes off , (it does this alot here ) or when the mains is switched from generator to normal electricity (goverment ) , some times the computer shuts down and the mother board stats it has done this to preserve the computer from a surge ..
offcourse the computer is connected to a backup (ups) chinease one , but it lacks protection it is a cheap one.
my diagnose of the problem is that the power is droping and the backup is not fast enough , or the contactor is causing a spike during switching..
proposed solution: i should add a circuit between backup and computer which should rectify the mains and a huge capacitor back capacitor bank would keep the power stable until the backup is stable ....
please note , I thought first about using a surge protecting circuit instead of this one , using capacitors and tvs + MOV + filtering coils ...etc , but most circuits online insist on a Ground (earth) connection , which is not available in my building (we have neutral and hot only ) very frustrated by this ... does it work without earth ???!!

please help and propose a solution or suggestion

If your problem -from your description- is blackout ride-thru, you can increase the capability by adding more filter capacitance in parallel with the main filter capacitors.

If your problem -from your description- is blackout ride-thru, you can increase the capability by adding more filter capacitance in parallel with the main filter capacitors.

ok i might try that:
400v 1000uF is enough ??? although that would be too big , film capacitors are low energy(capacitance) density

Regular computer UPS can be expected to handle the problem. If you already have it, I really don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

Having a HUGE capacitor bank is not a wise idea as you will be challenged to afford the capacitors and it wont buy you much brown out time. Get a UPS or a power supply rate for MUCH higher power than you need... but judging by your $ estimate of your PC it probably needs at least 500W and a 1kW supply does not buy you much extra time for a power dropout... "maybe" a half cycle.

get a live UPS, not standby, so it always runs from battery while the AC charges the battery thus no battery current is required. Plastic RF cap on battery may help if transient EMI problems.

do you know the advantages of a UPS?

...not to mention design for lightning surge protection, power cycle current limit, thermal protection, ESD , line noise filter and other transient protection....

If UPS is ok but still get power cycle on PC-PSU on transient outage, then consider if it is radiated or conducted noise and isolate the problem then solve it,

- transient radiated interference is common on poor system designs due to large surge currents on power-up.

Having a HUGE capacitor bank is not a wise idea as you will be challenged to afford the capacitors and it wont buy you much brown out time. Get a UPS or a power supply rate for MUCH higher power than you need... but judging by your $ estimate of your PC it probably needs at least 500W and a 1kW supply does not buy you much extra time for a power dropout... "maybe" a half cycle.

get a live UPS, not standby, so it always runs from battery while the AC charges the battery thus no battery current is required. Plastic RF cap on battery may help if transient EMI problems.

do you know the advantages of a UPS?

...not to mention design for lightning surge protection, power cycle current limit, thermal protection, ESD , line noise filter and other transient protection....

If UPS is ok but still get power cycle on PC-PSU on transient outage, then consider if it is radiated or conducted noise and isolate the problem then solve it,

- transient radiated interference is common on poor system designs due to large surge currents on power-up.

thank you for the detailed answer , i finally solved the problem by disabling the "anti-surge protection" feature in the Motherboard, after installing a monitoring and error log software , it appeared that the problem is the 12v rail is jumping slightly for 13.4 during these transients events and it is causing the motherboard to restart !!
after some research i found that this particular power supply does have this problem although it is 100$ (not cheap) and rated 600W , maybe some engineering design problem !!
anyway i think the best option is to buy a better one later ..
by the way my UPS is rated 1200VA but not TRUE ups , i might even look at those for future ..(but i think it is bad for batteries )

thanks guys i appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.