Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does an FPGA need an external clock source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vphaniendra

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
does a FPGA need external clock input like 50MHZ and all....

I am using for implementing a USART in ALTERA STRATIX...where my data is synch clock coming from outside..i want to use it for all my internal devices.

Should I put a clock source also to the PLL dedicated clock inputs?? is it necessary..

Well...
FPGA itself has an internal clock. For USART you just need to divide it to your favorite baudrate.

Well...
FPGA itself has an internal clock. For USART you just need to divide it to your favorite baudrate.

FPGAs have no internal clock sources. You need to connect an external source for anything to work synchronously.

Oh...yes. You're right.
I thought hi is talking about FPGA with its board.

- - - Updated - - -

By "internal" I meant the board clock ... :|

well dear!

the FPGA generally doesnot need clock source for combinational logic. The need of clock is application specific e.g sequential logic etc.

USART will be needing the sync pulse (either generated by PLL or board clock)..

Regards

Terrible idea, but you CAN actually generate an internal clock by creating a ring oscillator. But I wouldn't advise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.