Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Dip switch connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, these are switches, they don't need VCC and ground. The diagrams show what pins are connected together for each position of the switch (the black dots show that a pin is connected)

So what are those C pins?Can you tell me how to connect this switch to 4 data pins?Also the datasheet says operating voltage 24V max?what is that?

C is common, it's what gets switched to the other 4 pins. What are you actually trying to do? 24 V is the maximum voltage you can apply to the switch.

i need 0 to 15 values to be given to a controller to read.so i have connected the 4 pins (1,2,4,8)to the controller.then i have connected one C pin to VCC and the other C pin to ground?is it the right way for connecting?

First of all, you don't tell us WHICH switch you are using-you posted a data sheet that covers a multitude of switches. Secondly, if you connect one C to VCC and the "other" C to ground, and you will have a very nice short-circuited power supply. C=C!!!!

Connect C to VCC, add pull-down resistors to 1,2,4,8.

i need 0 to 15 values to be given to a controller to read.so i have connected the 4 pins (1,2,4,8)to the controller.then i have connected one C pin to VCC and the other C pin to ground?is it the right way for connecting?

Still you have not yet mentioned the exact which one of the switches you intend to use. Making me helpless to give you simple connection diagram.

As per barry if you understood good otherwise be precise in telling us which one of the models shown in datasheet you intend to use, to help you properly and clarify any further doubts.

Last edited:

Sorry about that.Thought all were the same.I will be using the 5th one.Segment wheel.(grey). Can you also tell me the value for pull down resistor.Also what should be the value of resistor from VCC. I am using 3.3V supply.

Pulldown resistors should be 10 gajillion ohms. The resistor from VCC should be 200 femto-ohms.

Why don't you give us some information, instead of expecting us to know what you are doing. You say you are connecting this to a 'controller'. A motor controller? A nuclear reactor controller? What kind of input does it have?

:???:
Pulldown resistors should be 10 gajillion ohms. The resistor from VCC should be 200 femto-ohms.

Why don't you give us some information, instead of expecting us to know what you are doing. You say you are connecting this to a 'controller'. A motor controller? A nuclear reactor controller? What kind of input does it have?

Sorry about that.Thought all were the same.I will be using the 5th one.Segment wheel.(grey). Can you also tell me the value for pull down resistor.Also what should be the value of resistor from VCC. I am using 3.3V supply.
Instead of annoying members here try to get help by giving the proper info from your side before asking for help.
Please try to be precise instead of just saying "May-Day.May-Day...."
One of us will surely help you if we know what n where you are stuck:???::cry:

Read the data sheet. The inputs have a 75K pull down, so you don't need any resistors.

So can i short the C pins directly to VCC. Or should i use any resistor in series with Vcc ?

Yes, you can connect the C pins directly to Vcc. You don't need any resistors.

Thanks everyone for helping me.

Here is the datasheet

Attachments

• MC100EP196-D.PDF
    190.7 KB · Views: 55

Status
Not open for further replies.