Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Diode for rectenna @ 2.45GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab-lab

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have to realize a rectenna @2.45GHz. Can you tell me which diode should work best?
I have found this family HSMS-286X (which is zero-bias)..... has anybody tried to use these diode at such a frequency?

Do you have any further/alternative suggestions?
thanks

You are right, I tested those diodes connected in a dipole. They are good as detectors or rectifiers. I would estimate they can achieve ~40% efficiency with up to ~10 mW output power.
An alternative solution I found with BAR-12 from Siemens, it is also a Schottky but of a larger size (glass envelope), so it can rectify up to ~13 dBm or more with a good efficiency.
For power transmission, a rectenna matrix may be used, comprising many dipoles with diodes, connected in series and parallel as needed. But to transmit a reasonable power like >1 Watt, I do not see a suitable rectifying element for 2.45 GHz.

Thanks a lot for the info..... do you happen to know which should be the lowest detectable power @2.45GHz...and also @860MHz?
Thanks!!

This detector parameter is called TSS, "tangential sensitivity". It is determined by ~1 kHz modulated signal, distinguishable on an oscilloscope screen from noise. With a good detector, TSS typically is ~ -35 dBm; by using a narrow-band selective amplifier for 1 kHz, you may get even better.
At 860 MHz, detectors with Schottky diodes can be a bit better than at 2.45 GHz.
But at both frequencies you can use a low-noise preamplifier, and for the extreme demands, a radiometer is suitable. Then we do not speak about the lowest detectable power but our measure is noise temperature ( T = P/[k.B]) and temperature resolution.

Thanks a lot for the useful tips!... being a newbie of this kind of circuitry, I still have some doubts on which precise diode model should be more convenient?
And in which configuration? series, common cathode....)

Thanks a lot again for sharing your experience!

Last edited:

Through simulation, you will know better these diode.

I read on a datasheet that the HSMS-286X family should be used with an external bias @2.45GHz, in small signal detector applications.
Can anybody suggest an alternative that works at zero-bias, @2.45 GHz for low power (<-20dBm)?

As of now, I came up with these possibilities: HSMS2852, HSMS2860, and HSMS 285C.
Any other suggestion?

thanks

Last edited:

Dear lab-lab:

I cannot offer you the details: I made a rectenna test setup for the JH university, to test various diodes of HSMS 286 series. In a dipole I made a holder to clip in such diode; some HSMS diodes have different arrangement in plastic enclosure. Testing a single diode I think is best but you can try to connect diodes in parallel or in series, to see what happens.
To detect the low power like -20 dBm, DC-biasing the diode may be good for sensitivity. The difference between making a sensitive detector and making a power rectifier is quite big. Be ready for experiments.
I am not used to modeling; I prefer to make experiments with simple setups, to see the real world.

As a matter of fact, I have to implement a power rectifier... however, the in-coming power is very low (approx. -30dBm).
In your opinion, and without giving away confidential details, is there a diode that can function without bias at 2.45GHz?
RIght now, I do not have limitation regarding the output power ..... obviously, the higher the better
Thanks for any help you may give

As I wrote, there is a big difference between a "sensitive" detector, for the RF input levels like -20..-30 dBm, and a "power" rectifier, with RF input levels > 1 mW.

A good RF Schottky diode like the mentioned HSMS from Agilent or BAR-12 from Siemens can be good with the low levels as those are zero-bias diodes. Using a DC bias with a forward current of several uA may be good, but the RF signal should be preferably AM modulated, so you can retrieve the modulating signal by a selective video amplifier after detector.

Detectors like those using ZBS Schottky diodes have a "quadratic" response up to ~-20 dBm but a "linear" response up to 0 dBm, then they rather are limiting. Also video load resistance should be adjusted, from 1...10 MOhm for low-level operation, to <1 kOhm for high-power rectification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back