Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digitally programmable audio tone generator chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
tone generator chip

Colleagues,

Are there programmable tone generator ICs out there? It would have a digital interface to a microcontroller (e.g. I2C). Through this interface the controller could set a tone and volume. The output would go to a fixed-gain audio amp and then to a speaker, or may be the tone generator IC would have an amplifier on board.

The closes thing I was able to find is this: http://www.keterex.com/pubs/kx1400ds.pdf . The tone generator is a part of an audio playback chip. May be there are other audio codec type chips that have tone generators and volume control…

Any suggestion (aside from obvious) or insight is appreciated!

- Nick

tone generator ic

Kripton2035 said:
I would do this with a dds chip from analog device
first models are sufficient to genarate audio tones.
Worked with Analog Devices' DDS chips in the past. I haven't seen a DDS chip with programmable amplitude (volume). Of course, one of the solutions would be to connect the fixed amplitude output to a programmable gain audio amp.

tone generator ic chip

For a limited range of tones try the PCD3311.

For any frequency up to 50KHz in 1.5Hz steps, try the ML2036.

Both serially controlled. The PCD3311 is I2C, the ML2036 is SPI.

Brian.

programmable audio chip

It's not clear from your post, if you intend to generate pure sine waves or musical tones. In the latter case, a sound synthesizer chip, that understands MIDI commands, would be a more versatile and better sounding solution, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back