Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Signal Processing - Digital Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candle111

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have been newly introduced to DSP, and I'm finding some of the concepts quite tricky. I've got a problem I'm stuck with, and I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me on how to go about solving it. The question is as follows:

A pole zero filter design gave the following difference equation:

y(n) = x(n) + b.y(n - 1)1

Describe the output when using an input signal given as:

x(n)= 0 for n <0
1 for n >= 0

Use appropriate analysis in your description.

Thank you! I appreciate any assistance.

This is a feedback filter , output sample is depend on previous output value , multiple with coefficient b ...

X(n) is to make sure system sampling from time 0 ... below time zero is not a realistic situation.

Rahul

... below time zero is not a realistic situation.
I don't agree; n=0 can be an arbitrary time reference. It is as realistic as to consider the time before 0:00 of today.

A pole zero filter design gave the following difference equation:

y(n) = x(n) + b.y(n - 1)

Describe the output when using an input signal given as:

x(n)= 0 for n <0
1 for n >= 0

(I removed the "1" character at the end of the difference equation considering it's a typo.)

It should be specified an initial condition in order that the problem b completely specified.
Let's consider that, for example y(-2)=0, and let's see what happens for n>=-1

For any n:
y(n) = x(n) + b.y(n - 1)

Knowing that y(-2)=0 and that x(n)=0 for n<0, now we replace n for the different values starting at n=-1:

y(-1) = x(-1) + b.y(-1 - 1) = x(-1) + b.y(-2) = 0 + b.0 = 0
y(0) = x(0) + b.y(-1) = 1 + b.0 = 1
y(1) = x(1) + b.y(0) = 1 + b.1 = 1 + b
y(2) = x(2) + b.y(1) = 1 + b.(1+b) = 1 + b + b^2
... an so on ...

The next step is to realize that methods of signal processing allow to get the same result for this problem (an for others, much more complicated) in a simple and clever way.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.