Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Digital Potentiometer to vary 0-50vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

binojkumar

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In one of my application i need to vary 0-50dc up and down by sending commands.

I have found a Digipot module (Digilent) , is it suitable for my application? Any suggestions please. 1.png

Providing additional details about your setup may yield a higher success in getting your answers.

What is that your pot is commanding? A linear power supply? A switch mode power supply? What currents are involved? What additional hardware have you got?

And most importantly - What resolution do you need!? At 10 bit resolution the precision is 48mV, for example. How many bits is that pot? You failed to provide a valid part number, so we cant know the specs.

Last edited:

Hi,

How can we know?
read the datasheet of the digital pot.

Klaus

My application is to vary 0-50v dc , 1 Amps.
The variation happening by the commands sending through SPI.
In the post i have given Digipot picture is just an example. If anybody have done this type application ,who can help me which exactly i should go with..
(expecting a good resolution)

My application is to vary 0-50v dc , 1 Amps.
The variation happening by the commands sending through SPI.
In the post i have given Digipot picture is just an example. If anybody have done this type application ,who can help me which exactly i should go with..
(expecting a good resolution)

Lets forget the potentiometer for now.

What hardware do you have to deal with the voltage regulation?
Are you trying to modify a power supply? Whats the maximun input voltage the power side needs to handle?

These are the inportant bits to know. After you solve them, adding a digital pot *should* be straightforward.
I do however recomend that you make yourself a digital DAC using some digital pins of the microcontroller and a R2R ladder. Typically the potentiometers that provide the reference voltage deal with more than 3.3 or 5V that a digital por can work with, which might me an issue. A DAC might allow you to optoisolate the power side from the uC using opto-couplers on the digital outputs

But without knowing the specs of the power hardware you plan to use its a shot in the dark. Are you starting from scratch or have you got something already?

Actually my requirement was a varying voltage (0-30vdc). I thought of to make a digital pot to increase or decrease the power supply.
The application is to test a relay. i should check in what voltage the relay contacts open/close.
For this application, later i came to notice a voltage ramp can be done.
Now i am in search of a voltage ramp circuit or module(0-30vdc, 1A)

Hi,

look for a USB programmable power supply.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back