Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Electronics and electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackburn

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I've been getting knowledge about digital electronics. I'd really like to find out what exactly happens inside memory such as DRAM when it comes to single components like capacitors, transistors. What electronic elements are actually used to store one bit, for instance in DRAM?
Is it a combination of one capacitor and one transistor?
If so, to store for example one byte (8 bits) we're gonna need a combination of 8 capacitors and 8 transistors?

I'd like to find out what actually goes on inside of the digital electronics, I guess understanding analog electronics is key to get digital one :)

That is right each cell of a DRAM uses a transistor and a capacitor. Common circuits for a number of cells are required to charge, discharge and read the capacitor charge. Also the charge stored in the capacitor will need to be refreshed very often. So as not to loose the data when the necessarily small capacitor gets discharged.
Static memories uses more transistors but do not depend on a charge stored in a capacitor to hold the data. So they dont need refreshing.

Not really each are dependant and independant to each other
Analog provides base from which digital has been derived to an extent

Bothe have different components built in different purposes
It is necessary to know the basic blocks of both to effectively understand the systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back