Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differnce Between RS232 And I2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prabakaran

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Whats th major difference between I2c And RS232 communication. Both is Serial communication . But in I2c it use SCL and SDA pin . But for RS232 it use Rx Tx & GND. so how the data is shifted serially to COM port.

in rs232 one pin is for transmitting and the other pin is for receiving the data and the gnd is common but in I2C the communication will be made in only one pin that is SDA and SCL is the clock for data clock if u go through the I2C Specifications u will understand it clearly

I2C, SPI : sincronous ( receiver device need to be externally clocked, 1 master and several slaves )
Serial RS232 : Assincronous ( no clock pin, Both sides transmit and receive data )

+++

I2C has one or multiple masters and or one or multiple slaves.
UART (RS232) has only one master DTE and one slave DCE.

I2C is for communication between chips on a board, but UART (RS232) is for communication between devices, like computer and mouse or computer and modem.

more over data rate, i2c 400Khz
and uart is more 9200 and more and fast

Communication speed is NOT an argument since I2C can work at 4 Mbits/s and RS232 is limited more or less to 1Mbits/s. Bothe I2C and RS232 can work at any speed below the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.