Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

differential signal to single ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

karbiuch

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a sensor that has output + -2.5V, max 500k hz. I would like to have a output signal 0-5V. I need to convert differential to singel ended, +-2.5V to 5V.

I tried to use a non-inverting amplifier with a reference voltage - it works. However, when input signal is 0V the output signal is equal to reference voltage 2.5V. I would like to achieve effect when the input is 0V the output is 0V.

Is there a better way of conditioning signal from the differential to single-ended? How to use fully differential amplifier with Vocm?

Please clarify whether your signal is (a) bipolar referenced to 0V ground, or is it (b) truly differential and not referenced to ground?

If 'A' then you can use a simple potentiometer, dialing between your signal and +5V. This lifts your signal up into the positive region.

If 'B' then you need to ground reference a differential signal. An op amp can be configured for this. It needs a bipolar supply, so it can handle the negative incoming waveform.

I tried to do it with fully differential amplifier (power supply +-10V) . At "Vocm" input I gave 2.5V. It works, but when input signal is 0V then output is 2.5V - it should be 0V. Can I have an example? It can be an amplifier with symmetrical power.

Last edited:

but when input signal is 0V then output is 2.5V - it should be 0V.
The requirement seems to contradict the previously specified +/-2.5 to 0..5V mapping. Would you mind to clarify the intended amplifier operation as an input/output voltage table.

You want Vout = 0 for Vin = 0. What's the expected output for Vin = -2.5 and Vin = +2.5V?

Ymm,. the sensor has an output:

Output voltage differential [V] 0 ... 2.5 (@ high impedance load)
Output common mode voltage [V] 0

I have to convert the output voltage to asymmetrical signal (singel ended) . What does it mean? Apparently badly I understood it. Could I have a graph of signals that I was sure that I understood it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back