Not open for further replies.

calsonic2009

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a problem dealing with differential amplifier input

According to this circuit we have to applied the same input(+-) voltage at 2 side of the circuit (vd/2) and (-vd/2) in order to get voltage gain.

**broken link removed**

- My question is why the input voltage have to be the same and (+-).

- Second question is if comparing the first circuit to the second circuit below, Is it the same circuit?

- If it's the same why can we applied any different voltage, but the on the first circuit we have to applied only the same voltage(+-).

Thank you

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

There's only 1 valid attachement in your post.

To analyze differential behaviour, you distinguish between common mode and differential input signals to simplify the calculation. The circuit shows a differential signal. Real operation usually involves both kinds of signals superimposed.

Picture of the second circuit

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Differential and common mode signal, as said. I guess, that the diagram title already clarifies about their specific purpose.

Hi calsonic,

perhaps the following explanation can help to understand FvM`s reply:

*Assume any two different input voltages Vx and Vy (same sign or not) ,
* You always can split these voltages in two new parts Vcm=(Vx+Vy)/2 and Vd/2=(Vx-Vy)/2 ,
* By superimposing both parts you will get again Vx and Vy: Vx=Vcm+Vd/2 and Vy=Vcm-Vd/2 ,
* Now you can amplify (separat for common mode and diff. signals) with the respective gain values Gcm and Gd:
Common mode Vcm*Gcm=Vout,cm
Diff. mode Vd*Gd=Vout,d
* Then, both output voltages are added (normally, the common mode signal is very small).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…