Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Amplifier Current Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohbinhoodie

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question.
I know Iss as a Current Source is only for ideal situation bcus it has infinite impedance so infinite CMRR value.
and if I use NMOS as a Current Source, it has a finite impedance so would have less CMRR value.
Are there any other features like advantages, disadvantages when I use NMOS as a current source in differential amplifier?
tttttttt.PNG

All your problems would come from the finite output impedance of the NMOS current source.

Having constant gain would be one problem. Since depending on the input, the tail current from the NMOS would vary and hence the gain would vary.
Input dependent gain variation would lead to non-linearity. This can be reduced to an extent if your circuit is in negative feedback.

An advantage of using NMOS tail current over an ideal current would be the fact that it is possible to make an NMOS transistor but impossible to make an ideal current source!

If CMRR or other issues arising from a real tail current is affecting the performance of the circuit, you need to look into better tail curent sources/sinks. Such as cascoded mirrors which would have much better output impedance which should definitely help. Bt they will come at the cost of headroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.