Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential ADC: What is it good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanfhj

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've seen an application note where a unipolar signal is buffered by two op amps, one inverting and one non-inverting, for a differential ADC (AD7688) to read. Why is this any improvement over a standard ADC? I guess it would be if the two amps are far away from the ADC, but is it any good if they're close?

ADC with differential input generally give higher linearity and interference suppression. Some can be optionally operated single ended with reduced performance. As far as I understand, AD7688 is not intended for single ended operation.

Thanks. Any suggestion for a 16-bit diff ADC besides the AD7688? My input comes from a logarithmic amplifier (AD606 ). It has a standard voltage output and a differential current output, and I'm deciding whether sticking with the standard output or using the differential one. I'm also considering the diff ADC ADS8320. I guess it must be a SAR because I want it to operate at 30+ KHz and the input to the log amp is multiplexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.