Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Different kinds of sorting algorithms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reza56

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sorting algorithm

as you know sorting is one of the main algorithms .
analysis and design of algorithm is very important and need good mathematics.
I know thr main kind of sorting algorithm but I want to know any other ones.
I heard something about any other kinds of sorting algorithm that optimized for special applications.
Can you help me to know more about them?

sorting algorithm

Hi

The Fastest Sorting Algorithm?
Do you belive it?

Sorting n integers in O(n log(log n))

Which sorting algorithm is the fastest? Ask this question to any group of programmers and you'll get an animated discussion. Of course, there is no one answer. It depends not only on the algorithm, but also on the computer, data, and implementation. However, if you count the number of operations needed to sort integer numbers on a standard von Neumann computer, there is a clear winner -- the algorithm presented in the paper "Sorting In Linear Time?" by A. Andersson, T. Hagerup, S. Nilsson, and R. Raman (Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, 1995). It sorts n integers in time proportional to n log log n. In this article, I'll give you a complete description of this algorithm.

Can it be done even faster? No one knows. We only know that it can't possibly be done using less than n operations: An algorithm using fewer operations than that can't look at each of the n numbers and, therefore, might leave some of the numbers out of order.

Even though the n log log n time-sorting algorithm came about as a theoretical game, its real-life performance is good. A C implementation like nloglogn.c ( available electronically; see "Resource Center," page 5) with no particular optimizations runs faster on a typical 32-bit machine than many standard textbook sorting algorithms.

1. h**p://www.ddj.com/documents/s=886/ddj0004d/0004d.htm

* -> t
tnx

Re: sorting algorithm

check this site for the fastest algorithms for sorting.

**broken link removed**

"The Art of Programming" by Knuth is a 3 volume set of books. One of them (I don't remeber which) is devoted entirely to the subjects of sorting and searching. I highly recommend this series.

Hi all,
Volume 3 is devoted to sorting and searching...I have all three volumes and tried a bit of all. He's pretty elaborate on many issues - both trivial and non-trivial. So self-study is not a problem.
You could also try "Design and Analysis of algorithms" by Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman or "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leicerson and Rivest, but I haven't read them yet.

regards,
Chirkut

peter-gr said:
check this site for the fastest algorithms for sorting.

h**p://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/harrison/Java/sorting-demo.html

My professor showed us this webpage in class to show us several kinds of sorting algorithms. This is useful to visualize how some of them work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back