Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between Synthesis timing report & Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FINALFANTASYFAN

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between simulation and synthesis

Xilinx ISE 10.1 reports that my design has T-clock-to-setup=15.598ns and the longest ( critical ) path takes about 14ns. But the timing simulation in ModelSIM goes wrong, nothing changes their values when I run on clock of 50Mhz( period= 20ns). If clock is 20Mhz, everything is OK, the outputs are great.

So the synthesis timing report is too unreliable, isn't it? Because the "guard period" is about 5ns to the real clock cycle ( 20ns )

PS: I downloaded this design into board but it didn't work at 50MHz

what is diff btw synthesis and design

Did you properly backannoate the SDF file to the gat level netlist whicle running simulation

what are diff btw synthesis and design

Uhm, I think I did. It's not the 1st time I did timing simulation, just use Xilinx ISE 10.1 to generate primetime ( gate level ) netlist and back-annotate SDF file before doing simulation in ModelSIM, right? Did I miss sth?

Uhm, now, the design, which is passed in timing simulation, does a mess on real board running. It is an image processing application with some memory manipulations. After making sure that memory is initialized, I pressed START. But all the things I got is a totally cleared memory which actually must be filtered image. Do you think what causes this?

PS: thanks for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back