Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between Router lan ports & 10/100 Switch lan ports

johnny78

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
im connecting an Arduino with Ethernet module to router lan port & to other port my Laptop & there is connection & the server is work
but when i use 10/100Mbps switch instead of router its not working

any idea please ?
Thanks

betwixt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Possibly you need a 'crossover' cable. One where the TX and RX pairs are swapped at one end. Some LAN ports have automatic detection that electronically swaps the signals so any cable can be used, some rely on the connections being correct.

Brian.

johnny78

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Possibly you need a 'crossover' cable. One where the TX and RX pairs are swapped at one end. Some LAN ports have automatic detection that electronically swaps the signals so any cable can be used, some rely on the connections being correct.

Brian.
HI
The lan port leds are On when i connect it but no data transfer
i think the standard lan cable should work between PC's & Hub switches But i guess the Arduino webserver Example is missing something to make it a standard TCP compatible device

i have assigned (mac,ip,port) to the module
i cant find what is missing

thanks
--- Updated ---

its the DHCP on the router

Last edited:

FvM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Without DHCP server, you need to set a fixed network address for the PC that belongs to the same subnetwork as the ethernet module.

Aussie Susan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Try somewhere such as https://www.guru99.com/router-vs-switch-difference.html to answer the question in the title of this thread.
It could well be that the difference between them is the answer here. (Just guessing as there doesn't seem to be much detail in the question.)
Susan

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: