Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between RHC and LHC in receiving and transmitting antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan0354

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do you characterize an antenna in receiving mode? The book said a LHC antenna in transmitting mode is RHC in receiving mode. Also if the antenna is LHC in transmitting mode, it's transmission characteristic is defined as \[\hat {E}_{(z,t)}=\frac{\hat {x}+\hat {y} j}{\sqrt{2}}\]. But the same antenna is RHC in receiving mode and it's receiving characteristic is defined as \[\hat {E}_{(z,t)}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat {y} j}{\sqrt{2}}\]?

Is it because the same antenna when characterized as LHC when transmitting in +z direction, when placed on the z axis as the receiving antenna, has to be characterized in -z direction and therefore is RHC antenna in receiving mode?

For RHC circular antenna in tx mode at the origin radiating in +z direction, the unit vector is \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}+\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\].

1) What if the same RHC antenna radiating on the +z axis, but back TOWARDS the origin? The unit vector should be \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\].

2) Also, the EM wave radiated by the RHC antenna from +z back towards the origin is represented by \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\]. also.

Am I correct?

In fact this is the example from Antenna Theory by Balanis 3rd edition p78 to 79. I don't agree with the book. It uses spherical coordinates and I disagree with the assertion that the antenna transmitting from a distance from the origin towards the origin is \[ \frac{\hat{\theta} +j\hat{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}\].

10h36zl.png

Also for RHC antenna in tx mode using as receiving antenna at the origin, I agree with the given equation. But that would give total loss in reception!!! I am confused, please help.

Thanks

How do you characterize an antenna in receiving mode? The book said a LHC antenna in transmitting mode is RHC in receiving mode. Also if the antenna is LHC in transmitting mode, it's transmission characteristic is defined as \[\hat {E}_{(z,t)}=\frac{\hat {x}+\hat {y} j}{\sqrt{2}}\]. But the same antenna is RHC in receiving mode and it's receiving characteristic is defined as \[\hat {E}_{(z,t)}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat {y} j}{\sqrt{2}}\]?

Is it because the same antenna when characterized as LHC when transmitting in +z direction, when placed on the z axis as the receiving antenna, has to be characterized in -z direction and therefore is RHC antenna in receiving mode?

correct! this is because RH and LH are defined based on propagation direction.

- - - Updated - - -

For RHC circular antenna in tx mode at the origin radiating in +z direction, the unit vector is \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}+\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\].

1) What if the same RHC antenna radiating on the +z axis, but back TOWARDS the origin? The unit vector should be \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\].

2) Also, the EM wave radiated by the RHC antenna from +z back towards the origin is represented by \[\hat {E}=\frac{\hat {x}-\hat{y}j}{\sqrt{2}}\]. also.

Am I correct?

good thoughts!

1- radiation backward +z toward origin means -z!
2- yes.

Thanks for the reply. How about post #3?

In fact this is the example from Antenna Theory by Balanis 3rd edition p78 to 79. I don't agree with the book. It uses spherical coordinates and I disagree with the assertion that the antenna transmitting from a distance from the origin towards the origin is \[ \frac{\hat{\theta} +j\hat{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}\].

10h36zl.png

Also for RHC antenna in tx mode using as receiving antenna at the origin, I agree with the given equation. But that would give total loss in reception!!! I am confused, please help.

Thanks

I read through the book over and over. I finally catch the part I missed. The book said \[\hat{\rho}_a\] HAS to be defined as in transmitting mode. So if the RHC transmitting antenna is at origin outward, then the incident wave has the unit vector of \[ \hat{\rho}_a=\frac {\hat{x}+\hat{y}}{\sqrt{2}}\].

This together with the mistake the book make that the incident wave towards the origin, the unit vector of the wave should be \[ \hat{\rho}_w=\frac {\hat{x}-\hat{y}}{\sqrt{2}}\] due to the direction of propagation towards the origin. Then \[\hat{\rho}_a \cdot \hat{\rho}_w=\left(\frac {\hat{x}+\hat{y}}{\sqrt{2}}\right)\cdot \left(\frac {\hat{x}-\hat{y}}{\sqrt{2}}\right)=1\].

Please confirm I got this one right. Thanks

Alan

PS: I know this is very tedious, but I really think this is important to clarify the polarity and the definition of the EM wave using a single coordination reference, not just RHC wave match with RHC antenna and hope it work out!!!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back