Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference b/w speaker and headphone audio amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

waqas5304

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
can some body explain the difference between speaker and headphone amplifier.
i have headphone having impedance of 8 Ohm (02 16 ohm each connected in parrallel makes 8 ohms).
i am using SSM2211 speaker amplifier capable of driving 8 ohm loads. i want to ask am i doing the right thing or it can have some implication when using speaker amplifier to drive headphones.

I think, regarding power capacity, the said SSM2211 is rather a headphone than a speaker amplifier. If signal quality is sufficient for your needs, it's not a bad choice.

thanx
i think i am not satisfied with the signal quality.if i input a sine wave of 1 K hz the output with the 8 ohm load is perfect. not much distortion on distortion analyzer but when i input speech, the quality of sound heard in the headset has something missing . i gives over loading effect but signal on oscilloscope is perfect with any distortion or overloading niether the current drawn is too much , i donot know wat is the problem,

waqas5304,
I would do an amplifier distortion check at the frequency extremes of the headphone response. If the distortion is OK at normal listening levels, the your headphones are probably defective.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back