Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differance Beteen LED Driver and SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

narindia16

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
smps led

Hello Friends,

I am working on a led project. I am using Standard 5V 2Amp SMPS. i read in many editions of EFY that people are using LED drivers, which are power supplies. I am confused what is the differance between these two.

what shoud i use?? what will be benefit.................

Please Help

SMPS is a switching power supply without big transformer and therefore small in size, a regulate power supply is with a big transformer and they are bigger in size.

Re: smps led

Hello Friends,

I am working on a led project. I am using Standard 5V 2Amp SMPS. i read in many editions of EFY that people are using LED drivers, which are power supplies. I am confused what is the differance between these two. what shoud i use?? what will be benefit.................Please Help
LED's rather need constant current than volatge. SMPS power supplies are simply regulated voltage source. LED drivers on the other side are constant volatge and constant current supplies which are highly recomended for LED applications. If your LED applications are just for experimenting, you may use SMPS and control the current by limiting resistors in series to the LED's.
Cheers

if u use smps for led, a constant current through led is not guranteed as it is a regulator only and not constant current driver. whereas, led drivers provide consant voltage as well as constant current which provides constant intensity of led.so u should use led driver if your product is not of experimental level.

Status
Not open for further replies.