Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detecting removal of USB flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

horace1

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an application where I am using a PIC24 to switch a USB flash drive between the PIC USB input and a PC. The switching works without problems.
However, when the USB flash drive is switched thru to the PC I need to detect if the flash drive is removed.
I thought of looking at the power line to the flash drive. Initial thoughts were to use a current sensor such as the LTC6101
Linear Technology - LTC6101 - High Voltage, High-Side Current Sense Amplifier in SOT-23

any ideas for a simpler solution? I don't need an accurate measure of current, all I need to detect if the flash drive is drawing power or not

1. Connect a led with diode
2. Or connect a spare pin with diode on power line of usb with a diode on for mcu power if you are using in that way(i once make 18f2550 with vb , my board has li ion battery and i want to make it good so i attach a buzzer with a spare pin when get connected or disconnected and then to write data in i2c eeprom when gets disconnected)that was a nice thing ,now my friend is using that some 2 years
3. I like to say current sensing second component is not for nice embedded project

Thanks for idea - will give it some thought !
what we need to do is sense the removal of the USB drive by the program so it is not user control
the current sense would work OK but, although a single device is cheap, it becomes expensive when we may be making thousands of the units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back