Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting a load on a power source without modifying voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

izua

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to build a simple ±12 (and switchable to 24)V power source for use in audio apps. Just as an experiment, I'm trying to make a led light up when I power something from it. I'm not sure how to do this. I was thinking of connecting over one power line a resistor, and on the resistor more positive supply, a base of a NPN transistor, on the other end, the transistor's emitter.

This way, when current will be applied, it will go through the resistor and there will also be a potential between Base and Emitter, allowing current to pass from the collector to the emitter, and with the led connected in the emitter, it would theorethically light up.

Not sure it will work, though. Any ideas? :D
thanks

Re: Detecting a load on a power source without modifying vol

You got the right idea, but a simple transistor needs too much voltage to work (≈0.6V). That means a large voltage loss.
Use a low-resistance shunt and monitor the voltage across it with an opamp or comparator. That will work with just a few mV across the shunt.

Re: Detecting a load on a power source without modifying vol

43_1176744450.jpg

Put the LED in series with R3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back