Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a circuit for a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeyad

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a beginner in electronics and would like to design this circuit please
any help please

output current.jpg

Attachments

• output current.jpg
    output current.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 77

Re: beginner would like to design a circuit

The plot shows up and down ramps which are straight. Is it essential for them to be straight? Because it would not be hard to devise a capacitor charge-and-discharge circuit, with curved ramps.

What ideas have you tried so far?

Hi Brad,

He can generate voltage linear ramps by charging/discharging a capacitor using a constant current source.

Zeyad, what kind of load do you have in mind? I find quite hard to imagine the utility of such a circuit.
You could do this using a microcontroller (provide the timing), a DAC (controlled by the microcontroller to approximate the ramps by small steps) and a voltage controlled current source from 0 to 50mA, but it's not an easy design for a beginner.

Regards,
Nicolae

thanks a lot for reply
the current is DC current, so it just needs shifting and charging and discharging
the load is going to be human body

You should be very careful if you decide to build the circuit. 50mA is a current potentially deadly for a human. Also, if you are not going to use some batteries or rechargeable batteries, there are some stringent conditions for any (medical) device connected to the power point. Probably double insulation transformers, I am not sure, but you definitely should check the requirements.

Regards,
Nicolae

This setup might be sufficient.

Your desired current of 50 mA through the human body could be lethal. As little as 1 mA through our body can affect the heart, or at least cause a sensation that would alarm most people.

That is a good reason to be careful how high a supply voltage you use, and how much current you send to the transistor bias.

It is also possible to use a mosfet. This would permit you to use a capacitor with a lower value. The resistor network would need to be tailored to provide desired operation.

Reactions: zeyad

zeyad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thanks alot for the reply
i appreciate your help
regarding DC current, can you please look at the attached diagram and let me know if i am wrong.

maximum DC and AC current.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

please check this device as well, that can be contacted directly to the head via electrodes
http://www.rogue-resolutions.com/neuromodulation/1063

The table which you showed us contains general information with experiments with two electrodes held firmly in hands by the subjects and for limited (short) amount of time.
The device DC Stimulator contains a lot of protection circuitry, as they say. If imperfect contact appears between skin and electrodes, significant burning can occur. Also note what is the highest current their device is set to deliver: 5000uA which is only 5mA with the comments that typically only currents under 2mA are used.
Also, device is producing constant current, while Bradtherad's suggested circuit is not a real constant current source, therefore improper for this task.

Dear Nick,
if you look to attached patent, you will find the current is up to 10 mA and even more but it is changeable
the device i am would like to design is using electrodes

https://www.google.com/patents/US5207231

Hi, I checked the patent. It does indeed specify the current of 10mA. Just be careful if building the circuit, don't get electrocuted :)

hi Nick
thanks for your help
i would like to ask of how can i control this output current by audio.
what i mean, i would like to connect an audio voice and would like the current to change corresponding to the audio voice with same frequency
it that possible to design it.
many thanks again, very similar to this diagram
current controlled by voice.jpg

Last edited:

Are you talking about the same project? Initially you mentioned a DC current with specific slopes and a maximum plateau value. Now you are asking about a circuitry that provides an AC current that changes with the same frequency as the voice. They are totally different. For the second circuit, I suppose you could use some sort of audio amplifier and connect your human subject instead of the speaker. On the final amplifiers you would need a constant current source (rather than a standard constant voltage source) that limits the current to a safe value. The final transistors would have to withstand a few hundred volts and the constant current source should have a maximum voltage also of a few hundred volts, but at low current, of course.

thanks alot for your patient and support.

it is the same project.

i would like to control the output current via external audio in order to get the same current waveform same as the audio waveform.

is there any idea about that?

Aagain many thanks for all valuable help

Last edited:

hi BradtheRad
thanks for you advice about the circuit
i wonder is it possible to reduce the max current to 2 mA DC output using 9 V souce battery?
i found this diagram but i can't get 2 mA output and i don't know the problemmain_circuit.jpg

The LED is oriented backwards.

I don't remember using a LM334 current source, so I can't confirm the values for R1-R4. A potentiometer might do as good a job.

Perhaps while you are troubleshooting, you might remove the LM334 arrangement, and substitute a resistor.

9V at 2 mA, means you'll have 4500 ohms impedance. Some of this can be your load, some can be the resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back