Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design procedure for two stage opam(gm/id)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranky_here

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Design procedure for two stage opam

Hey,
I see many posts on design of two stage opam.But honestly,I don't know where to begin and everything is seeming vague.I wrote the equations(transfer function)of a two stage opam from the equivalent circuit.Now i don't understand a few basic things
>>Is the equivalent circuit representing two opams a combination of a few mosfets or two single mosfet?
>>What do the parameters gm,id etc. mean..transconductance for the first opam or the first mosfet.

Please direct me on how to go about understanding this.

:idea:8O

thanks !!

Increasing gm of driving transistor of a stage increases gain, decreases bandwidth
Increasing Id increases bandwidth, decreases gain.

You should also be careful if using a common source stage as second after a differential pair. The miller effect can absolutely destroy bandwidth.

But there are a million considerations outside that when you get into noise and whatnot. What are you looking for more specifically? I may also not be completely correct, as these are things I have picked up in my continued education as an undergrad.

Hey pacman326,
Thanks a lot for the reply.
What am looking for?8O:shock:
>>The question put forward to me is design a two stage amplifier give some specification say 60 degree PM,100 gain and so on
>>I want to simulate this is in spice(i know how to use spice but don't know how to go about this)

Thanks
Cheers,
cranky

Hey
Could somebody please help

No hope, I fear, before you provide any more info.

If you don't bother about parameters like power consumption or noise, you'd at least utter an idea of the required bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.